Noise on 05 Outback when slowing down at 20 mph

I have a new Outback 3.0 VDC with 5k miles. Just in the last 2 days I have noticed this problem. When I slow from higher speeds, at approx. 20 mph, there is a single "clunk" noise. It seems pretty consistent, but sometimes worse than others.

Accelerating is fine and I am sure this just started happening. In case you are wondering, I am in California, and we are having beautiful spring weather, far from extreme in either direction, probably 50 - 75 degree F. Also, this is in normal city driving.

thanks,

Tim

Reply to
timscramstad

My Outback 2005 makes a clicking noise (relay type of noise) in the transmission area when I come to a stop. If I keep my hand on the shift lever, I can feel this click. It must be some sort of a relay. Mine is click though, not clunk

Reply to
LB

I used to have this problem in an Oldsmobile I used to own. It turned out to be the torque converter unlocking in a not-so-elegant way. Drive it with a Subaru technician in the vehicle and they should be able to diagnose quickly.

-Kurt

timscramstad wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack