Noisy Lifters

I've got a 1991 L Series S/wagon, 230,000 kms with a real problem with noisy (hydraulic)lifters. Mechanic has tried replacing oil 3 times and using additives. Suggestions that it is either sucking air due to leaking seal on/near oil pump or dirt in oil gallery that gets caught in lifters. Problem moves around from lifter to lifter and is intermitent and not always on cold start. Any suggestions?

Reply to
mysteryray

Check your oil pump...Had similar problem with 1985 wagon

Reply to
cgilb

It will be sucking air through the front oil seal of the oil pump - a very common problem with these motors.

Reply to
Grumby

Hi:

The 92 Legacy has notorious problems with stuck lifters. Luckily, mine is OK with only the occasional event. A friend has one that was badly affected - the Subaru rep poo-poo'd his complaints but he stuck to it. He eventually got repairs done FOC - but it took him a LONG time. There could be a secret waranty around. Check Lemon Aid.

Reply to
Peter Johnston

I think the mechanic is correct but, for more information go to

and do a search. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes