OBD-II code software/interface

Can anyone recommend a good OBD-II code software & interface for a pc running XP OS?

Essentially I'm looking for a diagnostic tool I can use on my own Legacy to assist me in analyzing why my engine service light stays lit. Should I choose to perform the service myself I can do so with the confidence of identifying the malfunction and replacing the defective part.

Reply to
Joeman

I bought the OBDScan-RS232 from these people about 3 years ago. I use it with an old laptop running Win98se, but I'm sure it would work with XP.

These days, I'd probably opt for the USB tool.

The software is very nice and the people at Harrison are good. I recommend them.

Jim Stewart

I use the same software. Just a note, Jim, mine is also about 3 years old. Just noticed a free hardware upgrade and sent the converter box back last Sat. Today I got a whole new converter. Good people to deal with.

Reply to
calhoun

A big thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks Jim & Calhoun, I took the advice and bought one for myself moments ago.

Reply to
Joeman

Joeman ha scritto:

You can find good and cheap interfaces on e-bay. Porotocol used by Subaru is ISO. Here is a nice software, but it's not free

you can find custom error codes
free software

I have a trouble with my 1999 Legacy, because even if there is the OBD connector I cannot find any working diagnostic tool working. Here in Europe only from 2001 with Euro3 pollution all cars have a working obd2 interface

Reply to
S.C.