OEM Cargo Tray for Outback Wagon

I just had an area dealer order the OEM Cargo Tray for my 2003 OBW. It's a hard plastic, with a texture/grain to it so it's not completely slippery. I'm hoping it works alright for me and that my dog doesn't slide around on it (60-lb Lab).

Anyway, this tray does not have cut-outs where the floor clips are in my wagon. I use them now to hold a small toolbox in place with a bungee cord. The toolbox is too big for that crummy under-carpet storage tray/spare wheel well compartment, so I put it on the cargo floor behind the passenger rear tire.

Does anyone else have this tray, and if so, have you cut out where the clips are so you can still utilize them? I'm wondering how much of a PITA it's going to be.

Reply to
M. Baker

Worst part will undoubtedly marking where you want the cutouts to be. Try rubbing chalk on the clips to transfer their locations onto the tray. Beyond that, it's just plastic; drill a hole and use a jig-saw or a hacksaw blade, or use one of those abrasive drill-bits used to cut holes in drywall, or even a sharp utility knife (might take a couple passes, and please be careful) to make the cutouts. Clean up rough edges with a file and/or a hot air gun, or even a butane cigarette lighter.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

The OEM cargo liner on the 2000 OBW isn't cut for the clips either. I've been just holding them up and sliding the mat underneath them for now but am planning on cutting them as you are.

I've cut mats and trays before, it's not a big chore. If you can flip them up like mine, use a fine-tip marker or grease pencil to outline what you need to cut away (be a little generous as you need some room to snag the clip with your fingertip). Use a very sharp knife (a fresh blade if you are using a drywall knife). Wet the area and the blade with water or even a tiny amount of WD40/Triflo/etc.

You may want to cut some cheap carpet to fit the cargo liner and glue it in with RTV, your dog will be far happier.

Reply to
nobody >

I've thought of just having a blanket or carpet scrap back there, but I'll also have messy things like flower trays, nursery pots, etc with dirt/water that will probably spill a bit, so I'd rather have something I can take out and hose clean when needed. Not to mention dirty/muddy dog paws. For her comfort, I've got a medium-sized dog bed back there when she's in the car. It's so funny - she'll hop into the cargo area and go right to the bed and sit/lay down.

Slightly off-topic, but my dog is so spoiled, I admit. I bought a little car fan that you plug into the lighter socket, and there's that extra socket back in the cargo area, so I plug it in back there and clipped it to the 2nd row seat belt thing that comes out of the ceiling, so in the summer the fan can help circulate the cool A/C air back there. The windows aren't tinted or anything, and the dog is black, so she's bound to get warm back there even if we have the A/C on up front. This'll help move that cool air back there, and keep the air moving in general for her. :)

Reply to
M. Baker

Well, just thought I'd write a follow-up. Got the OEM cargo tray from the dealer about a week ago. It DOES have little cut-outs that make room for the floor clips, so I didn't have to modify the tray at all - Yay! It fits the space perfectly, has a texture to it it, isn't as slippery as I was afraid it'd be. I think it'll work great - and I can still utilize the floor clips too!

Reply to
M. Baker