Replacing engine seals on '99 OB

My 1999 OB/MT with 82K miles has been leaking oil slowly for a few months, with a burning oil smell. Otherwise, no loss of mileage or any other problem that I know of. I figure it's the usual issue, one or more of the engine seals. Given the mileage and expense, is it worth having other things with overlapping labor done now, instead of waiting to ~100K? I've been getting 12-15K miles/year, service it frequently and don't drive it hard.

BTW, is this seal problem common enough on Legacys and Outbacks to press the dealer to contact Subaru and work out a deal? I've never develped an engine oil leak in 40 years of car ownership (VW bus, Valiant, Corolla, Fiesta, Nova).

Gene Goldenfeld

Reply to
Gene Goldenfeld

If the leak is coming from the front it's probably the "O"ring of the oil pump, the part is cheap but a couple of hours of work to replace it.

that will be a good time to take a look at your timming belt in the same time.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Paquette

Just do everything. New timing belt, new fanbelts, new oil seals on crank and cam, new tensioner, new water pump, new plugs, fresh coolant.

Make sure the oil pump gets fixed right. New o-ring, new crank seal, loctite the 5 backplate screws in place.

Good luck on getting the dealer to cut you a deal.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If the leak is from the back of the engine....could be the oil separator plate leaking. My 97 Impreza 2.2 has that ailment and a little oil drips on the exhaust and smells a little when you come to a stop. The quote from the dealer was about $600.00. The trans has to be pulled to reseal the plate, and might as well have the rear main seal replaced at that time.....Good Luck!.... Jim

Reply to
Jim Lofgren

I think the leak is coming down through the holes in the small plate near front and center.

Gene

Reply to
Gene Goldenfeld