Do I need a new oil pump?

I recently went to my Subaru dealer and got the oil changed on my 1999 Impeza Outback sport with 73,000 miles on it. He told me that I should replace the oil pump because it was leaking like a sieve and that it would cost about $600. I see no oil on the garage floor and the engine does not seem to be burning any oil. There is not alot of smoke from the exhaust and when I check the oil it always seems full. My question is is this a reasonable price to change the pump and is should I do it?

Reply to
Richard

Edward Hayes

A new oil pump is $99 at subaruparts.com for your car. A decent backyard mechanic could change one out in 3 hours doing it the first time. Very easy job to do. I'd get a second opinion and a new dealer.

Reply to
Rat

Say what?

Assuming you've been changing your oil at normal intervals, the pump shouldn't be worn out (I checked mine at 250k miles and it was fine, and my oil pressure was normal when the engine finally gave up from other causes at 360k--it's kinda hard to believe something that lives its life submerged in lubricant could wear out so fast!), which leaves a handful of replaceable seals as the potential culprits (and you're just about at the right mileage to be developing some dried and leaking seals.) About $15-$20 max for parts. Swapping out oil pumps is just as easy as replacing seals (cuz the pump comes out to do the seals anyway), so if you're really worried, you can drop a benjie on a new one (source quoted by another poster.) Have you had your timing belt(s) changed recently? If not, you'd save a ton of money by having the t-belts, ALL the front engine seals, and the oil pump attended to at the same time, because you've got to go thru all the same labor whether you do part or all of that work. Four hours labor by a pro, tops, at $85/hr? You should still have plenty of money to take Mama out for a really nice dinner afterward.

And I'll bet you'll save even more money by finding a different mechanic or dealer!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

How would he know? Wouldn't one have to pull the oil pan to tell the pump was leaking, esp. if you have no low-press light and/or leaks? Isn't the pump located in the oil sump?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

No, the pump is on the front of the engine. The crankshaft goes straight through it and it is driven by the crank. It has tapped out places where you could fit a pressure gauge to tell if it was low. If it is only leaking though it is either the front main seal (crank seal) or the oil pump seal.

Reply to
Rat

Rick's point about the timing belt is well taken. At 73,000 mi, chances are you still have the original timing belt, and another one isn't due for another 30,000. I would certainly consider doing them together, but not necessarily right away. If you have good oil pressure, never experience low oil level, and are not drippintg oil under the car, what would be the consequences of putting things off? And, if this oil leakage really does become a problem, you'll know it. Then get a timing belt, a water pump, new seals, etc. My car also put in a new hydraulic belt tensioner.

Reply to
l.lichtman

Thanks for the all the input. I think I will do nothing for the time being and just keep an eye on the oil levels. Also, I want to say that I had the timing belt changed at the 60,000 mile checkup after mother had one break on her Volvo which resulted in a repair bill of several thosand dollars.

Reply to
Richard