Overheating Forester

Hi, my 98 forester was overheating so i took it in and they found hydrocarbons in the coolant system...so they replaced the headgasket. that came with a new thermostat, waterpump, timing belt.

It was still getting hot, needle went nearly to the red, after long trips on the freeway then coming to a stop and idling. So i took back in. They had trouble getting it to get hot, but eventually they think the saw the symptoms i described. And they found cool sopts in the radiator so replaced that. Still gets hot, same as before the new radiator.

Any Ideas?

Reed

Reply to
reed

If *I* had to guess, i would say..air trapped in the system or one tooth off somewhere. (Timing) One tooth off will NOT make it run hot at idle, in fact it if's retarded one tooth it might actually idle BETTER. But it sure will run hot on the freeway.Since you did have the belt changed thats possible.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnurd

Possibly an air bubble trapped in the system, and possibly a bad radiator cap. Is this an indie mech or dealership? Some indie mechs may not understand how tricky it can be to properly fill the cooling system on many soobs. Dunno if hydrocarbons in the system can coat the radiaotor inside with scale or something. Oh, although its unlikely - do double check that both electric fans are coming on - read recently about someone getting their car back from a repair job with both fans unplugged.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

thats an interesting idea. I also noticed a drop in fuel efficiency of

2-3mpg.
Reply to
reedlane