98 Toyota Camry Overheating

I have a 98 Toyota Camry that's temperature gage says it's overheating. When I put the heater on the temperature stays the same. When I put the air conditioning on the temperature gage goes back down. It doesn't overheat every time I drive it but does most of the time. I have never fully overheated the temperature gage will just get really high and I have to turn the AC on or stop driving for a few minutes. I have replaced the thermostat, radiator, water pump, and temperature sensor. Could it possibly be something to do with the fans that are mounted on the radiator? These were not replaced I took them off of the old radiator and installed them on the new one. It appears that the fans are not running when the car is running but when I turn on the AC they start up. Is it possible that it is something with the fans? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Brant

Reply to
bsmith95610

Turning on AC forces the AC fan to come on. I would first check your radiator fan (not the AC fan, which sounds like is working).

Both fans should run when you turn on the AC. So let us know if one isn't.

Reply to
johngdole

Do both fans come on with AC on, You dont want to run cars hot, run near the boiling point and only antifreeze is saving your ass from boiling and to much pressure. Fans have to kick on at a certain temp and if they run wilth the ac on and it cools the motor run the AC when temps rise till you fix it, and leave heat setting to hot. Maybe its the temp sending unit on the motor. Where are you, where I am its 45f for a high and my fans will rarely run, is expansion tank full, is antifreeze no more than 50-50 mix. Id say keep heat on hot and high and run the ac till you fix it, it doesnt take long for higher pressures you likely have running hotter to ruin a head gasket. On mine both fans run with AC, if only one runs it could be several issues. Running hot also ruins oil, fix it before alot of bad stuff happens, sludge and a blown head gasket.

Reply to
ransley

Just so I am clear. Is one fan supposed to run pretty much all of the time then when I turn on the AC that should turn the other fan on? Or is the first fan only supposed to turn on when the engine is starting to get hotter?

Reply to
bsmith95610

Im not positive, but I think both run with a hot motor and AC or even just AC. jump power to the fan that doesnt run to see if it works.

Reply to
ransley

The two most likely possibilities are a gauge that isn't reading correctly, and just gets affected by change in current when you switch on the A/C, or it's those fans running only with the A/C - you may have bad temp switches (switch?) for the fans. Still, those fans shouldn't be needed at all on the highway...

Reply to
Leftie

In general, the "radiator fan" runs when the engine coolant temperature switch (ECT) got to a certain threshold, say about 200 degF. There are other sensors that begin with "engine coolant temperature", but this "switch" basically switches on/off the radiator fan if the coolant is above the threshold. (See Autozone.com free repair guide for details, I think now you have to set up a free account too).

When you turn on the AC, both fans should run at slow speeds. (by 1998 I think all are). When the condenser got too warm from dumping all the heat, then both fans will run at high speeds.

So sounds like your radiator fan is not working. As to why it's not working you have to verify: fuses, ECT switch (you may have two), and fan motor (easy, by jumpering 12V if you're electrically inclined). Good luck.

Reply to
johngdole

Yes it could be a fuse or maybe relay? My relays can be reset.

Reply to
ransley