2000 Outback Wagon Power Steering Pump

Has anyone had a problem with their power steering pump making a lot of noise and needing replacement. I just changed the belt on ours as it was showing signs of wear and after getting it on, and taking it for a test drive it made a groaning noise as if the fluid was low. I checked the fluid and it was okay. I was wondering if I got the new belt too tight? I loosened it and it still is making the noise, maybe not quite as bad. After having my wife restart the car as I watched the pulley, the pulley started to stop and their is a little play if I try to move it in and out. Does this sound like the pump needs replaced? How tight is this belt supposed to be? Is this a hard job replacing this pump? Is there any other issues to be concerned about?

Thanks..

Reply to
Edward Lohr