P0420 Trouble code and dealer resolution

A week or so ago me check engine light came on. Code was P0420, an issue with the catalytic converter. I brought it to the local Subaru expert in town. They advised that the catalytic converter was bad and needed to be replaced (though at this point I don't know what they did to diagnose). Took it to the dealer to presumably have the catalytic converter replaced under warranty.

When I picked up the car, they had not replaced the converter. They reset the code, road tested, and the light did not come back on. They advised that this is how Subaru tells them to handle the problem. They did say that if the light came back on, they would replace the catalytic converter.

Sooooo... my question is whether or not this is reasonable and/or standard procedure. If it is, I won't worry too much about it for now !

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Danno

bigjim

I'd say the dealership is being prudent at this point (good for them!)What is the mileage and condition of the car?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for the replies. The mileage is 74K so I have about 6K left on the 80K emissions warranty. Condition of the car is pretty good. It is an 04 Outback that I bought with relatively high miles, but I have taken care of it and I drive relatively few miles (5k per yr).

I also had a coupon for a free service clinic while there so all was not lost.

Reply to
Danno

To me, it seems more likely the front O2 sensor could be 'beginning' to get 'lazy' than a bad converter. A good tech should be able to scope the sensors. the front one usually goes first(more heat and untreated gasses), it's readings are compared to the rear one - after the converter - and any out of range readings would mean the cat 'system' is broken. So a )420 code does not really point to JUST the coverter. Just before the light came on had you had any odd service or use of the car? Driven to a different altitude, used a gas additive or needed a jumpstart, etc. ? Could just be a one-off glitch. If the cat. conv. system IS bad, the light will come back.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I would want to make sure that car passed your local emissions inspection. I know of a dealer - non-Subaru - that disconnected a light because he could not find source of why it came on.

Reply to
Frank

That light should be 'tested' before starting, along with the oil, abs, etc.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan