Towing a pop-up camper

I recently bought a 2000 Outback Limited wagon, and am looking at a small popup camper--about 1200 pounds "dry" weight. Have some of you pulled one, or am I making a mistake? Thanks. DJ

Reply to
jdjordahl

Edward Hayes

How far and up how steep an incline? I pull only a boat with my Outback but have pulled a popup camper in the past with cars of equal size and smaller engines. But only for about 100 miles and only up roads that were not too steep.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Reply to
jdjordahl

If this is a very regular activity, considering adding an oil cooler to the car. You get slightly increased oil capacity and a cooler running engine. Also, a tranny cooler maybe be a good investment if this is an automatic.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Remember the first rule, how can you tell if a salesmen is lying, answer, are his lips moving. I looked up the 2000 Outback's ratings: According to Trailer Life, it's rated for 2000 lbs (not 3000), you must have a brake controller (ie the trailer should have brakes) and the max hitch weight is 200 lbs.

Of more concern then the engine, is the transmission. Few cars have a gauge that tells you how hot it is getting. Consider a trany cooler.

One more thing, be careful with putting stuff/people in the car, that weight matters also. You should take pound for pound off the trailer weight, for every pound over 200 (including you) that you add to the Subaru

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Reply to
jdjordahl