Radio Problem - Max RFI

My 98 Forester's radio reception gets major interference (especially on AM) from the car's electronics, the engine, the fan, even the washer motor. I assumed it was the crummy OEM unit, so I replaced it with an Alpine, it STILL gets the interference. Any recommendations? Thanks LT

Reply to
LT

Sounds like either a ground wire issue or a weak antennae signal. Do all AM stations get poor reception or just the ones you want to listen to? Is the reception poor in all areas or just certain streets or at certain times of the day?

Reply to
Greg

All AM has problems. I thought bad antenna also, but it checked out OK. Any other thoughts?

Reply to
LT

You need to start supressing the interference at the source. The heater fan is the easiest to deal with. Just pull the plug off the fan, solder a 4.7 uf capacitor across the wires (be careful with the polarity unless you get a non-polarized capacitor) as close to the plug as you can, tape the thing up so nothing shorts, and plug the thing back in.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's best to have someone who does do the work for you.

As for noise from the engine, you may need to change the spark plugs and/or the wires. But, I'll bet the majority of the noise is from the heater fan.

-- Larry Weil Lake Wobegone, NH

Reply to
Larry Weil

The engine is the biggest source of RFI, just running the darn thing. Things like the ventialtion fan and wiper fluid pumps also cause RFI but they're not used very frequently. Any suggestions on wires/plugs that don't make the noise? LT

---------

Reply to
LT