When is a Subaru too old?

Saw an add in the paper the other day, 2000 Outback with 370,000 km. The guy wanted $8K Cdn. for it. Even a Subie has to be approaching the end of the line at 370k doesn't it?

-- Stay calm, be brave, wait for the sign

Reply to
Chestpin

"Chestpin" wrote in news:y4IQb.13615$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.mts.net:

I wouldn't dismiss it right away, although i'm not sure about that price. But if its a 2000, i doubt the body/interior has had as much wear as an engine with 370,000. You can always negotiate the price and replace the engine. Let us know what this person did to put 225,000 miles in 3 years on it.

Reply to
Snowcatcher

Hi,

If possible, I'd try to find out what kind of driving the owner did and how it was maintained (regular oil changes, blah, blah) before deciding if it's at the end of its road.

That kind of mileage suggests a lot of highway use--easy on the engine, transmission, brakes and such--but if the car had been used for delivery service (local stop and go, mail, etc.) then it's seen a bit of hard use. The first wouldn't bother me, the second might give me pause. Ultimate useful mileage: hard to tell. My '90 hit 344k miles this morning, and the fellow who owned it before me for the first 209k miles was less than stellar with some maintenance. The engine's getting pretty tired (not much power, started eating lots of oil about 3k miles ago) but is still going. Other than that, most things went over 300k before starting to "fall apart": original clutch went over 325k, front axles about 330k, alternator over 300k, and so forth, so your prospective car probably has plenty of mileage left if it hasn't been beaten.

As for price, I haven't a clue as to Subie values in Canada, but with that kind of numbers on the clock, I'd think one might haggle a LOT for a better price.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Are you sure it wasn't a typo?

Reply to
Dominic Richens

When is a Subaru too old? About 150,000 miles after you quit taking care of it. As others said: if they're hiway miles & the car has been maintained it should be good for awhile. You should do a compression test to determine wear. Eight grand does seem like alot for a car with that many miles, though. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Reply to
ThaDriver