Re: 1997 2.5 GT head gasket problems??

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1997 2.5 GT with 98K on it. Is

> the head gasket problem over stated, or do the majority of these cars > really suffer from head gasket failure?

From what I have seen and from talking to Subbie mechs, the 2.5 ltr DOHC motor in general has the problem, if you keep an eye on things it is managable however. I had one go on a 97 Outback, I may have been a little lucky in that it was only a small leak and did no other damage.

Cheers.

Pete D

Reply to
Pete D

From what I can gather, Subaru's suffer from Wheel Bearing problems, and some annoying Valve Ticking.

Reply to
Emad Yousuf

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 22:21:43 GMT, Phillip Weston wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A small trickle of water is quite normal. The product of burning gas is partly water.

I've seen water come out my own tailpipe due to a blown headgasket and the car doesn't continue driving for very long. :)

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

My 97 Legacy Ouback Wagon (2.5) is currently in need of a head gasket job, and I find that many local mechanics don't want to take it on because the engine must be pulled: the 2.5 is a horizontal engine and working space is mighty cramped if the engine is left in place.

The dealer wants $2500. Aaargh...

At 70,000 miles, this car had a bad oil leak from a gasket inside of the timing belt. So, when we fixed the seal we also changed the belt and pumps. At that time, this forum was filled with other owners of

70,000 mile 2.5's which all had bad oil leaks at the major bearings. Consensus seemed to be that this was part of the Soobie "personality".

My previous Toyotas had their share of mechanical ills, but it was always easy to find off-broadway mechanics to work on them at reasonable rates.

I personally bought my Outback just for the marvelous drinkholders and those little clear plastic pockets on the visors.

Reply to
Winifried Carbunkle