'98-'99 Subaru head gaskets

A couple of days ago I had the head gasket blow on my '98 Outback wagon and after googling it I found that this is a very common (and expensive--as in $2000!) problem with the "Phase 1" 2.5L engines. I bought the car second-hand from a friend who was the original owner, and put about 22k miles on it (currently 68k) before it happened. Every mechanic I talked to said the head gasket blowing is "a matter of when, not if." Was there ever a recall or customer service advisory for this endemic problem??

Another friend is interested in buying a used '99 Legacy GT wagon and I'm wondering if they also have this lurking time bomb under the hood.

-- Bob

Reply to
Bob Moulder

I know someone who works at a Subaru dealship and he has mentioned to me lots of head gasket problems with the 2.5 engine and no fix from Subaru for the problem. I also have a brother who had to have his head gaskets replaced.

What years are the "Phase 1" engine in? Has it been superceded and if so starting with what year?

Reply to
Ed Fortmiller

I believe this refers to at least the 98 and some early 99 models of the

2.5 engine, (and maybe to some earlier years?) I know they changed the 2.5 engine very early in the 99 build year. The change involved going from a dual overhead cam to a single overhead cam. I believe another change included eliminating the platinum plugs when they went to the single overhead cam. I cannot verify that, but read it on another forum board.
Reply to
D H

Even the earlier 2.5 ltr DOHC motor had problems with the head gaskets. my

97OBW had a small leak but a full engine out teardown only cost me AUD$965, thats about US$600 at my local mechanics. I have noticed that the cost of US cars may be cheaper but you spend a lot more to keep them on the road. I think I will stay in Oz.

expensive--as

Reply to
Pete D

An interesting observation and I'm not sure why it is so. I was looking at the maintance records for my daughter's Civic last night. The previous owner paid $1700 for major tuneup, timing belt, and brake job. I did all and more on the Outback for $400 in parts. Now I can't believe that a) the Civic is easier to work on than the Outback, b) the Civic's parts are more expensive than the Outback, and c) the mechanic/shop deserved to make $1300 in labor on a job that couldn't take more than 8 hours.

That's over $160/hr. My company only charges $100/hr for custom electonics designs. At some point the car repair trade decided they should be compensated like doctors and engineers.

Reply to
Jim Stewart