Re: Mixing gas ok ?...Not so

Not so, as cars get more miles on them some tend to build up

deposits

which > can raise the compression ratio and make premium...or at

least higher

octane > than regular... necessary for reliability and

performance. Subaru's

are > notorious for this. TG > > "Frank Logullo" > > "Michael" > Gas here in GA

is up to $2.25 for premium. Is mixing 50% 83 with

50% 93 > ok > for a WRX ? > > Does WRX require premium? If not you are wasting your money. > Mixing in a >

car that does not require premium is OK but premium gives nothing

extra >

except cost.

Frank > > >

Well, I have a 1998 Forester that just turned

216,000 miles on the odometer, and I am still running 87 octane, as recommended in the manual. I guess it takes longer than that for the "notorious carbon buildup".

I would use whatever grade is specified in the manual. Saving a few pennies on gas at the expense of the engine is false economy. Conversely, using a higher octane than required is throwing money away.

Reply to
George Adams

I believe that any carbon buildup gets blown away on a long, high speed ride. The kind that when you are finished the engine purrs.

VF

Reply to
houndman

I believe the OP has a valid point in that many high-mileage vehicle will burn more oil and build up carbon and cause higher compression and subsequent engine knock.The knock sensor will retard the timing so you don't notice this.What you may notice is lousy (er) gas mileage.Switching to a higher grade may restore mileage but not cost per mile. Solution would be to repair the motor,ie. replace valve seals (and guides if necessary),re-ring etc.

Reply to
brian