Re: True AWD

More to the point of the OP question, with the 5MT Subaru transmissions,

> the front and rear drive axels are actually physically connected all the > time, > through a viscouse coupler. So yes, even with the ignition off, if you > turn one wheel the other three turn aswell.

BEWARE! DO NOT allow ANYone to tow your vehicle without using a wheeled trolly, or lifting the car completely onto a flatbed with NO wheels touching the ground! This can and will cause severe damage to the AWD mechanisms.

Reply to
k. ote

Not sure about the STI, but I THINK the 'regular' manual tranny with the VC center can also be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground with speed/distance limitations.

In general though - a flatbed tow is prefered, should not be more expensive but can mean a longer wait fro service occasionally.

Carl

k. ote wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan