2008 Accord Check Engine light causes?

Hello,

I have a 2008 Accord EXL Sedan Auto. Its got about 28,000 mi on it. I always get the oil changed when needed. Never use inferior gasoline (use Shell and Gulf), didn't have any mods done to it, didn't change to a different gas cap and never parked on materials that could damage the CAT converter.

The engine light went on today after a 7 mile drive on a highway doing about 65 mph. I did NOT get gas recently and the cap was fully tightened. There was about 3/4 of a tank of gas in it today when it came on. It stayed on after several attempts to drive and turn the car on and off. So according to the manual it could be something related to the emissions if not caused by a loose gas cap. So I'm thinking of bringing it to Honda tomorrow to look at. Is this common on this model and year and also what are other possible causes? Is this something that needs immediate care?

Thanks, Al

Reply to
Al

One more thing...I did put a small bottle of Gumout Fuel System cleaner in a couple of days ago with a full tank of gas. I've used this many times in the past and never had a problem though.

Reply to
Al

Al wrote in news:34063b71-8079-484a-9a95- snipped-for-privacy@z13g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

There are approximately 100 reasons why the light would come on. Each reason has an alpanumeric code (called a "DTC"). The ONLY way of telling which DTC(s) have been set is to have the engine's computer queried with an OBD-II code reader.

Your car is still under warranty, so I'd let the dealer handle it.

If they want to charge you $100 or so to read the DTCs, post back here again.

Reply to
Tegger

Al wrote in news:df8826ea-336d-4257-acca- snipped-for-privacy@34g2000prs.googlegroups.com:

Likely has nothing to do with your MIL-illumination. I suspect your engine's computer has detected an EVAP problem. There's a TSB out for DTC P2422 on your model.

But do not use any aftermarket additives in your engine. They are not only not needed, but can interfere with the engine's controls.

Retail gasolines already contain more than enough cleaners and other additives for your engine's needs.

Reply to
Tegger

Agreed. I quit adding Techron to the gas a few years ago, and the only difference that I have been able to detect is in the wallet.

Reply to
pws

eh.

Grocery store gas, Speedway, etc. are at bare minimums. Shell seems to do better.

In fact, Shell 93 cleaned out my old Lexus engine and got it to the point where using Shell 87 maintained it--and got me much better gas mileage than grocery store/Flying J truck stop gas ever did.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Okay thanks. I'm bringing it in Wednesday. It should all be covered including the code reading since its under warranty. I'll let you all know what the codes are, but they'll probably fix whatever it is. They said if the light is on its okay to drive but if its blinking there could be a serious problem and not drive it. What would an EVAP problem be? Sorry I'm not that savvy with engine stuff.

Reply to
Al

Al wrote in news:7ef3ab5f-88b8-47b3-b027- snipped-for-privacy@23g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

If the MIL is blinking, the engine's computer has detected a problem severe enough to cause damage to the catalytic converter.

Part of the emissions control system. It's unimportant, and ignoring EVAP DTCs does no harm at all to anything except, perhaps, increased annoyance on your part because that little yellow light is lit-up.

Reply to
Tegger

Okay thanks. I'll find out Wednesday and post it here. I getting the oil and tire rotation done too. Might as well. You seem to know pretty much about cars. I was wondering if you know anything about Hyundai's as far as how reliable they are compared to Honda's and how the comfort and drive-ability is?

Thanks, Al

Reply to
Al

Al wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b21g2000vbh.googlegroups.com:

Don't know much about Hyundais from personal experience, but I've been told by those in the trade that Hyundai/Kia (same company) is not nearly the equal of Honda/Toyota/Nissan when it comes to reliability and durability, especially with engine controls.

I did spend a week in the back of a Kia minivan two summers ago. The ride was OK, but the ceiling vents both leaked and whistled, so it was somewhat unpleasant being back there.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@b21g2000vbh.googlegroups.com:

Well I only had a chance to drive a 2006 Hyundai and a 1994 Excel. I think the 2006 was the sporty model, can't remember the name of it. Both were okay, but I do remember a big difference in the roughness and inside materials. I was hoping that improved but it looks like other posters are saying the Hyundai is still a little less comfortable and generally not as quick or reliable in the long term. The Honda is looking more and more promising, but I'd still like to test drive.

Reply to
Al

innews: snipped-for-privacy@b21g2000vbh.googlegroups.com:

get the hyundai, retard.

Reply to
jim beam

Tegger,

You were right! It WAS a clogged EVAP valve! Pretty good! It was under warranty.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
Al

Al wrote in news:c681f619-eb11-469b-bdae- snipped-for-privacy@j36g2000prj.googlegroups.com:

You're welcome.

EVAP problems are the #1 reason for MIL illuminations these days. You can thank your friendly federal EPA for the exceeding complication and finickiness of that particular piece of equipment.

Reply to
Tegger

Got to love the government! :)

Reply to