Return of the Samurai!

Mammals and humans in particular are a murderous genre by nature/instinct. I think it comes from our predatory past, yeah, ...not only past!

This thread has deteriorated into a restatement of our worst mammalian nature. It started just as an inquiry into a perceived inappropriatness of Subaru's publicly embracing an aviation heritage while naming their cars after or similar to US. bombers (working names such as B-5, B-9), but it went beyond that quickly.

I think Subaru should stop doing this, unless of course they plan to be eventually competing with the Hummer, and other American-German gangster type cars, such as Chrysler300 etc. If that is the case, then they are on the right path, and this is just a sneek peek into the future. A future where roads are filled with an armada of cocky names and armoured looking vehicles with names such as: The AK-47, the M16, A1Abrams, U-505 as in U-boat, and many many more.

MN

Reply to
MN

(snip)

(snip)

No, the idea is that one can't be easily seen, but there are various legends about which one it is and why.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

I am told the word also means "beauty" in Japanese... but I don't really know.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I know! It's the seventh one. (I couldn't stop myself.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

This is all well-established astronomy. Apparently the Greeks could see seven, and there are many more than six in the cluster. Whether their eyesight was especially acute or the skies were darker, the historical Western name is "the Seven Sisters."

Google it.

What some post-Hiroshima Japanese could see in the shadow of their smokestacks is another matter.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

relevant. :^) -Danny

Wait, wait--javario has forgotten about the Civil War, too---since he's a Northerner, all that Confederate, Southern stuff is a no no...whoops, no more pecan pie at Thanksgiving, and no more KFC. Don't even think about pulled pork.

Reply to
CompUser

I wonder if the working girls hangin' on the corner I pass going to work might take offense...

(Pe) U (geot) 505 perhaps...

KIA? Not a good acronym amongst my military acquaintances...

Seems there are way too many ways people get their knickers in a knot over alphabet soup car names. Audi has their "A" series cars (at least they don't call their A-6 the "Intruder,") M-B their "C" and others, why not slip in some "Bs" from Subaru (as long as they don't step on Volvo's B-18s and B-20s?) Do the British royals ever get upset about Ford's Crown Victoria? And how many people in the advertising dept that came up with Saab's "born from jets" campaign would know their Saab-arus had a little Nakajima in the woodpile?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

KFC's okay... Kentucky tried to stay unaligned in "The War Between the States" but eventually leaned to the north.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I sympathize with the brave Southern men who stood up to the meddling fools in Washington over the issue of states' rights and self determination. Many of those in DC seem to think they know whats best for people in each state. That sounds familiar today too. Fools from worthless states like MA trying to force gay marriage onto the majority of Christian Americans. Remember Lincoln's emancipation proclamation only freed slaves in the states that rebelled- and he had no authority over them !! New 'Jerseyans still had slaves as did people in the north. The War of Northern Aggression may be over but Lee surrendered-- I didnt.

Reply to
bigjim

But fried chicken...traditionally Southern!

:-P

Reply to
CompUser