new to Subaru

...well, I just got a 96 Legacy Outback 2.5 automatic with 150,000 miles on it. I have just discovered a tire the wrong size on the right front. I plan on getting a set tommorrow. Are there any recommendations as to a good road tire. Also I was told the spark plugs have not been changed. The tailpipe has black soot in it and I was told by someone else that was normal. I definately want to change the plugs ASAP with NGK iridium. The vehicle ran fine on the way home with just a bit of steering pull. There was some black gunk in the bottom of the radiator resevoir bottle, and the coolant looked like pure antifreeze ( very green ). I'm sorry for the ramble, but I would like some advice/ comments. I got the vehicle for $2900, which I felt was a good price for this car. The seller is having a hard time finding the service records, and I'm having an anxiety .... Thanks in advance

Reply to
Black Dog

That would explain the steering pull, and it's not good for the tranny to have different size tires on the car.

I plan

Depends on what kind of tires you want. I have to switch back and forth to ice tires in the winter, but if you live in a milder climate pretty much anything will work. Check out Tirerack.com. Good prices and very honest. Lots of info at the Web site and user reviews.

Also I was told the spark plugs have not been changed. The tailpipe

Don't know much about NGK iridium. Why not have the car checked out by a mechanic. While the car has a lot of miles on it, you got a good price so spend a few bucks on a checkup, oil change and minor tune. I think my 97 runs a little dark at the tailpipe.

The vehicle ran

Mine is very green, too. Change it, but be careful and make sure your mechanic knows Subies. Those years had a habit of blowing head gaskets, and my understanding is the problem is related to not servicing the cooling system properly.

I'm sorry for the ramble, but I would

Subarus tend to be very reliable, so I wouldn't have a cow, yet. The two major things you definitely want to check are the timing belt (how old and does it need replacement) and the CV joints. Put the car into a turn with the steering wheel locked to the right and drive it in circles. Listen for clunking sounds. Do the same to the left. Any clunking means the car needs new CV joints.

Again, in my opinion you got such a good deal you can afford to put a few bucks into the thing and relieve your anxiety.

Reply to
Sheldon

Get a set of Cooper CS4's . Reasonable cost, excellent in rain/snow, quiet and handle well. Avoid those fancy plugs. just get regular NGK's as they should be changed every 30 k anyway.

=A0 =A0 =A0Thanks in advance

Reply to
bigjimpack

I dunno about the tires as it depends so much on your driving conditions.

has a lot of info and reviews.

The plugs on many soobs are hard enough to get to that spending the xtra for the Iridiums might be a good idea. They could be the last set you install on this car!

The folks here and over at

are good resources for keeping your soob on the road.

Um - be sure to check if someone has put the FWD fuse in the FWD location under the hood in the fuse box. If they have, it may have been due to the odd sized tire. That would be OK. HOWEVER, sometimes that is done to conceal 'torque bind'/center diff. (actually wet clutch pack/duty solenoid C) problems in the tranny. Get back to us after the tires are sorted out for more info on 'torque bind'.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I wouldn't hold my breath on the service records. If someone is stupid enough to mount the wrong size tire on his car, I can't see them being organized enough to have all of their receipts. Any idea how long that tire has been on there??

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

=A0 =A0 =A0Thanks in advance

I agree with Dan D on the service records, don't expect much that you can trust. If you get a few invoices for service or replacement parts, consider yourself lucky. Otherwise, have a competent mechanic inspect it. As for tires, if you don't expect a need to mount snow tires, and plan to use all-season rubber, I recommend Continental Extreme Contacts. Good dry pavement traction and excellent in the wet. Tread uses a dual rubber compound so are pliable at low temperature and very good in light snow. Have put about 20k miles on them, and by the wear so far expect 30-40 overall. Also look pretty good, for a tire. Follow Carl's advice and poke around at Tire Rack; good selection, customer reviews both positive and negative, and check the specials. Occasionally you can find a great deal.

Reply to
suburboturbo