RumorMill: Subaru considering building a 7 passenger SUV

I was talking to my Subaru dealer the other day and he mentioned that word came down that Subaru was playing with idea of building a 7 passenger SUV. Then we started thinking. Where are they getting the frame? Well the best we could come up with, which is pretty farfetched is the following.

The Pontiac division of GM is going to stop making their minivan and Aztek line in order to get more into the performance sedan line, I.E. supercharged Bonnevilles,Grand Prix and even supercharging the Sunfire. So we thought that maybe they would send the frames from the Aztek and minivan line over to Subaru since GM owns a share of Subaru.

What do you think?

Reply to
null

Not outside the realm of possibility. But why wouldn't they just use the same platform found under the Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, and the new Buick SUV (Ranier, I think)? Let's see, how would one of those look with a hood scoop?

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

The Subaru Traviq is already available in Japan.

Regards

Steve Impreza WWW Owners Club

Steven Breen

Any idea if there is going to be a Subaru SUV or MiniVan coming to North America?

Chris

Reply to
Gar

What platform is the Traviq built on?

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

Reply to
null

They already make one check the Japan site

Reply to
no way

I lived in Japan for 7.5 years... there were many makes and models of Toyota, Nissan, and Honda that were built exclusively for the Japanese. And other manufacturers that aren't in the U.S. I used to think "man, those will sell great when they market them in the states", but never saw those models in the USA. So the point is that just because they're manufacturing them in Japan, doesn't mean they will be here.

DJay

Reply to
Djay

Built in Thailand, rebadged European Opel/Vauxhall Zafira. No boxer engine and no AWD, very poor seller here in Japan.

paddlesnz JAPAN

Reply to
paddlesnz

The Traviq is simply the GM Opel/Vauxhall Zafira; those sold by Subaru (in Japan only) are built in GM's Thailand plant.

Reply to
Orienteer

Is that a 7 passenger? The pic on the site looks like 2 front buckets and a single back seat, for 5 total.

Stu

Steven Breen wrote:

Reply to
Stu Hedith

not trying to be mean or anything, but have any of you heard of UNIBODY. they don't build with frames much any more. Mainly large trucks and huge SUVS only. Chrysler pacifica, the new chevy equinox, for escape, honda pilot, all use unibody. All subies are unibody. therefore they wouldn't be getting the frame from anyone. If anything it would share a legacy or forester platform. I imagine tho that they will build it's own platform. SIA in Indiana would probably be the site to build it since Isuzu is pulling out.

Reply to
jarrad

I'm picturing the clown car at the circus when i imagine 7 adults climbing out of anything built on a legacy or impreza platform.

Stu

jarrad wrote:

don't build with frames much any more. Mainly large trucks and huge SUVS only. Chrysler pacifica, the new chevy equinox, for escape, honda pilot, all use unibody. All subies are unibody. therefore they wouldn't be getting the frame from anyone. If anything it would share a legacy or forester platform. I imagine tho that they will build it's own platform. SIA in Indiana would probably be the site to build it since Isuzu is pulling out.

Reply to
Stu Hedith

It will probably be based on the GM Europe Zafira model base, I seem to recall it is already sold in Thailand wearing a Subie badge, but I may be mistaken.

Reply to
Jenny Talia

check the home page in japan . they already make one