sensitivity on alarm system

i have been told different things about the security system on a 99 outback wagon: in the owners manual it says that there are two modes: warning and alarm. if your car recieves a bump or light jolt, it emits two warning beeps, and if hit hard or opened it goes into full alarm. mine does not seem to be set to this two beep warning phase. I have been told that there is a sensitivity control or knob in the car: WHERE IS IT ? DOES IT EXIST? one person told me it might be in the steering column, another that it is under the emergency brake, maybe. i would like to know where before i take anyhting apart, and there is nothing in the manual about location, so if anyone can help, i would appreciate it. Thanks a lot

Reply to
conmadre

I have a 98 outback and have adjusted the sensitivity on mine.

It was under the dash on the driver's side. It was a rectangular box about 2 inches by 3 inches that was attached (zip-tied) to the steering column. You don't have to take anything apart to see it. You can just lay on your back in the driver's floorboard and look up @ the steering column. You will probably need a flash light. Once you find the box, there is a little knob sticking out one of the sides of it. There should be an arrow on it that indicates which way sensitizes and desensitizes it, etc...

Don't set it to be too sensitive, or a vehicle that has had one of those overdone exhaust systems can set it off ina parking lot somewhere just by driving by. I had to de-sensitize mine a little bit because I had a neighbor w/ a dodge ram w/ exhaust that would make it give warning chirps by just driving past. If he wanted to mess w/ me, he'd just stop next to the car to set it off.

Reply to
darealclemshady

thanks a lot for the help, i tried looking but can not as of yet find this box, there is a lot of stuff under there! it is not ziptied to the steering column, but is probobly under there somewhere( if yours was there it must be in the same general area)thanks again david

Reply to
conmadre

This may not apply for you, but I'm pretty sure (!) that the sensitivity adjustment for the WRX alarm is on a cigarette-sized box in the center console...bolted in near the parking brake.

Reply to
CompUser

On the WRX there is a weird looking black box with some coils and stuff in the trunk, mounted in the top-right corner... could that be something?

Reply to
MikeL

I've found that same module and wondered myself, about it's function. It's not for the OEM alarm, because I installed one myself, and that wasn't a part of it.

Reply to
CompUser