Should I buy it? 1998 Legacy L w/ possible piston slap

Thinking of buying a 1998 Legacy L Wagon with 158k and great body. The only issue is that it has an engine tick for about 5 minutes when cold starting. The mechanic at the dealer says he thinks it's from a piston slap. Most posts I've read on here and elsewhere deal with the 2.5L piston slap. What about a 2.2L? The car can be mine for $3,000 out the door. Worth it?

Reply to
pianomansam

I think a piston "tapping" for 5 minutes or less from cold is ok. In addition; the timing belt change interval is 105,000 miles. Has the timing belt & water pump been changed and a receipt showing it? In addition, some engines had head gasket issues and you want to also check this out carefully. If all is ok then $3K is good I think but, good to the Kelly blue book to find the value for this year and mileage. Ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

A tick is completely normal for this engine while it is warming up. It has mechanical valve lifters.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Berbee