Should I do anything about small coolant leak

There are traces of coolant coming from a head gasket leak according to the dealer who inspected the car. I've not yet had to add any coolant, the radiator is full and the level in the overflow tank has not dropped appreciably. I know there is some risk of clogging with the various sealants. So the question is what would you do...or would you do nothing at all until/unless the leak starts to require adding coolant.

TIA

Reply to
Jim

Hi,

Personally, I would do nothing if it only requires addition of a tiny bit of coolant periodically. My dealer parts guy said a little seepage is "normal" and you'll spend far more fixing it than buying some coolant and topping off on occasion.

If you're worried about coolant loss, powdered Aluma-Seal has worked well for me. I only start with about a quarter tube, and add more if that doesn't do the trick (I think a full tube is good for something like 22 qt/20 l.) I haven't had any clogging problems with it that I'm aware of.

Best of luck,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I'm looking at same thing on wife's Nissan and taking it in Monday. I can't find source but suspect water pump on old car. Repair shop said we should not see any leakage. You haven't mentioned age of yours. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

car is 7 1/2 yrs, 107,000 mi. legacy 2.2 engine

Jim

Reply to
Jim

In spite of what dealer told you and other suggestion that it is not a problem, my wife insists on taking the Nissan in for repairs ;( Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

If any coolant leaks into your oil, it can really affect engine wear, especially your bearings. I'd send your oil in for analysis at the next change, just to be safe.

Reply to
David Reihmer