Coolant leak found...

I been having a coolant leak on a Dodge Caravan 2005. when doing my last oil change, I found that it is coming from the water pump gasket/seal whatever it is. I have been having to replace coolant in the overflow tank about 1 time per month.

Is there a "Stop Leak" for this type of problem or do i have to get it replaced? My warranty is over, I commute 100 miles a day for work, but I do have an extended warranty.

TIA,

-Tom Rogers

Reply to
Tom Rogers

Probably the water pump.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Well if you have an extended warranty why are you asking such a question?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Do not do "stop leak" for a bad water pump lip seal. If your extended warranty is in force, have them replace the pump. "Stop leak" is a ghetto repair on any leak at best, and won't work on a lip seal failure at all.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Don't use a stop-leak. They have nasty side effects like plugging radiator cores.

It doesn't much matter whether you're under warrantee or not, you need to get it fixed for real.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Thanks, Dr. P. Please explain this to that CRC buffoon who was roundly bashing me for not liking "stop leak" snake oil cures!

"Stop leak," whether the old "dog turds" from the '50s or the latest silicate goo, is a GHETTO FIX....period.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

I agree. My father had a radiator leak on his 1963 Valiant. He put in one can of stop leak, and it still leaked, so he put in a second can. The radiator still leaked, so he took the radiator in to have it fixed. By this time, the damage was done. The stop leaked sealed most of the coolant passages in the cylinder head. We replaced the head, but something must have been wrong with the block too, because we could not get a good seal between the head and block after that.

He gave up and sold it

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Deductible.

Reply to
Tom Rogers

I'll go along with what everyone else said about not using "stop leak".

Depending on which engine you have in that thing, a water pump replacement should be a relatively simple (for a mechanic) and inexpensive fix...

Reply to
Soundy