Snow Tire Recommendations?

After looking at chains, and realizing they just arent going to be the best option for me being in Alaska, I was hoping the group could recommend some winter tires. Costco has Michelin ICE-X ($100), the local tire place here has studded Hanook 404's, ($120) and I havent been up to Anchorage to see what the independents up there carry. I can carry 400# of sand (181.44kg for our metric friends) in my pickup and get traction there but if I did that on my Subaru the headlights could be mistaken for the northern lights.

I'm really leaning to studded tires as I have 2 miles of gravel between me and the road, and the mtn passes are only another 2 miles north. I figure studded would be a little harder rubber then the stud less ones so they would last longer, and provide more bite. While the stud less would handle better on the few snow less days and be quieter but if that were the case, I'd just remount the rims with my crummy geolanders and swap back.

Thoughts?

-Dave Seward, Alaska

Reply to
dave

Studded and studless tires are the same compound. Most snow tires will take a stud and the holes are provided. Snows are a softer compound than all seasons or summers; which is why they wear so badly when it gets warm. The softer compounds retain grip at much lower temps than do the harder tires.

The tread patterns are what is important and an ice-rated tire provides better grip at lower temps than a snow. I have used ICE-TRAK from Michelin. They are an excellent tire and Blizzaks are also excellent. Last winter I needed a performance tire for the snow (I have the STi), and I used the Perrelli P225. They were great in snow, and not bad on ice. But, they are pricey. My experience is that cheap tires don't cut it for snow and ice; in particular when it is really cold. We get temps of -30C (-22F) and a good tire is still best.

Reply to
FNO