Siped MT/Rs vs snow tires - comments and questions

This post concerns a Full Time 4wd Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) but I hope I can get some good Jeeply tire advice.

Spokane is getting its first snowfall of the season, and I was finally able to try out my MT/Rs in about an inch of fresh and packed snow. Up to 4 more inches expected by the end of tomorrow. No ice though...

The MT/Rs are siped full depth, 90 degrees across the center lugs only. Tread is essentially un-worn. Starting and stopping seems fine. It takes a good bit of pedal force to engage the ABS. Directional stabilty seems a little low - I feel a lot of tail wagging around downhill curves and the front end plows during sharp low speed turns. Kicking the tail around with the e-brake is easy, controllable and fun. All this leads me to believe a set of good snow tires with multi- directional siping is in order.

Has anyone gone from siped MT/Rs to pure winter tires? What results did you see? My local Discount Tire dealer has a set of 285/75R16 Geolander I/T+ winter tires ready and waiting for my US$600. What I would like to know is: are the results worth the cash?

BTW, Spokane gets many light snowfalls during the winter - deep ones are rare. Mean snowfall is 41 inches per winter. I don't anticipate doing any serious 'wheeling during the winter, but do want to travel the mountains safely.

Thanks.

John Davies

96 LX450 Spokane WA USA

John Davies

Hey there is no pics of mud on your toyo anywere! It must be scared of it. ;-D. As a far as the tires go....I would just carry a good pair of chains around with me, if your not going to be going crazy in the snow (read staying on the road) then your MTs should work for you fine....and if you do find yourself in a situtation where you need more traction then slip on the chains. Also if you think you need real traction in ice chains are going to be the way to go. I hope my endless rambling makes some sense.

....of course if you want to spend 600$...go for it. You might want to check tirerack for more reviews/prices of those tires.

Reply to
Esty

. I don't anticipate

For street use a narrow set of snow tires would be better. Studded tires works best on ice, but I doubt you will need them unless you go uphill often. My Jeepster has 35x 12.50 MTs, with an auto trans and 2 Powr-Lok limited slip diffs. My VW Jetta with studded tires does better on icy roads, and snow under 4 inches on the highway-- Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Reply to
Paul Calman

Nope - I haven't owned it long enough to find any, after the driest summer in a century in Washington State. But it is definitely NOT a mud bogger - more of an expedition vehicle in the Aussie/ Outback sense. It's much too nice to flog and abuse.

A little sense....except I would have to have two pairs. I have no problem whatsoever finding traction to go and stop. The truck is Fulltime 4wd with center viscous diff, and 2 electric lockers. The siping helps forward traction some. I would like better steering and lateral control, and I don't believe putting 4 chains on at every snowfall would be appropriate.

They don't carry that tire, have no information about it, and they told me on the phone that they have no plans to stock it. Neither do they carry ANY 33 inch snow tire. This one looks like a winner since you can get a 33 or a 35, and the price isn't a factor for me anyway. I don't want to downsize the diameter for esthetic reasons. I just saw a nice older Range Rover with winch, armor, lights, roof rack and itty bitty wimpy little snow tires. It looked rather comical, though I am sure the owner was happy with the way it got around.

John Davies

96 LX450 Spokane WA USA
Reply to
John Davies

If you are in part time 4x4, your front tires are going to scuff or plow turning a corner.

My BFG Mud tires are 'way' better than my BFG AT tire in this situation because the lugs will clear faster.

I find it better to drop to 2 WD at intersections when I need to turn no matter which Jeep I am driving.

Mike

John Davies wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Approximately 11/2/03 07:24, John Davies uttered for posterity:

More important than the siping is the tread compound, particularly for mild Spokane type winters. You'll want a hydrophilic non-hardening compound so it stays flexible and sticky in the range not too far below freezing. Tread filler material also helps, the silica filled treads being an example. Too bad neither the old Blue Blizzard [blue silica filled tread] nor Conti Contacts are still available, but there are several brands of similar performance. Studs are really good, but you probably don't hit enough snow long enough to spend the money and hassle unless you do hit the mountains.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

It doesn't have part time - it is full time with a (lockable) viscous center diff.

John Davies

Reply to
John Davies

when it's locked it's equivalent to part-time.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Well, yeah, and when it's unlocked (which is the way I usually drive it) it ain't. So the truck shouldn't plow in turns.

For street driving in snow I usually leave the center diff unlocked so that the ABS stays operational - the Lexus LX450 ecu disables the ABS with the center diff locked.

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies