Spark Plug Gap?

Just installed new NGK V-Power spark plugs, gapped at .040. The old ones were Champions, 3 were gapped at .050 and 1 at .055. They in the car when I bought it used ~23,000 miles ago. Just curious on what the effects of these out of spec plugs had on gas mileage, power, strain on the motor, etc?

TIA...bgin

Reply to
bg

Anything will be an improvement over Champion plugs. I wouldn't put a Champion plug in my lawn mower. Forty years ago, Champion was a great spark plug. Not so these days, especially in a Subaru.

The critical question on the Champions is the heat range. How did the old plugs look? Any signs of detonation or other "problems"? The gap issue shouldn't cause any permanent damage to you engine.

Reply to
Subbies Two

what kind of car???

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

I friend helped me do the job and he said the old plugs still looked very good, just re-gap and re-install them.

Reply to
bg

2000 Subaru OBW, base model with AT.
Reply to
bg

I dunno. If you read the NGK info, they claim that standard electrode plugs (V-power is only a slight variation) work better when new due to "sharp" edges making for a more reliable spark. I think it's different with platinum/iridium/etc plugs, because there's no oxidation on the platinum/iridium tips. Standard NGKs are so cheap that if you're going to take them out, you might as well replace them.

Reply to
y_p_w

Why? Four new plugs are cheap. If I am going to go spend the time and effort to remove plugs, I always replace them.

Reply to
Subbies Two

Opps...sorry for the the misunderstanding, its was my friends opinion to just re-gap and reinstall the old plugs...I didn't want that...so we did install the 4 new plugs.

bgin

Reply to
bg