Spend $60 on coolant leaking check?

Hi there, My forester 2001 now has an annoying coolant leak. I know the recall on head gasket problem so I just did a coolant flush about one and half months ago and asked the dealer to add the subaru conditioner. However, now it's still same as before. I even wonders whether they forgot to add conditioner for me. But another possible cause might be the accident I had in Jan. this year. The dealer asked $60 to do a check. Is it fair? How could I identify the possible cause by myself? There is no overheating or abnormal color in engine oil. Maybe it's not a big deal if I just put some extra coolant periodly. But if it's caused by the infamous head gasket, I believe it's still in the extended warranty.

What're you guys' suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Reply to
swzhao

If you haven't narrowed it down by now(looked above a puddle, or seen another obvious signs under the hood somewhere, etc.), I'd that's a fair price and probably a good idea.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The dealer is presumably quoting you for an hour of labor to diagnose the problem, which is standard practice. Once they find it there would be additional labor and parts charges for the actual repair. What they will probably do is connect a pressure tester to the system, which will pressurize it without the engine running and any external leaks should then become apparent. If you had access to a pressure tester you could do this yourself. Note that if the pressure tester shows a pressure drop but there is no obvious visible leak, then further diagnosis is needed as it could be an internal engine problem (head gasket, cracked head) or leaking heater core. You'd probably know if it was the heater core because you'd smell it and the windshield would fog up with a slimy film when you used defrost.

Reply to
mulder

Thanks! My doubt is whether it's worth or necessary to check since I haven't seen overheating or other problems? Any signs I should check? Would it cause potential damage if I just ignore it now?

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
swzhao

You mentioned an extended warranty - if there is coolant loss, why would you have to pay $60? - is that towards a deductible? It's hard to imagine a failure with your symptoms not being covered under a warranty. If there is no dripping or puddles under the car - even dripping from a rearward postion from 'blowback' under the car, it likely is leaving through the combustion chamber. Sometimes, pulling the plugs out and comparing will show one with a distinctly different look. That cylinder may be blowing out coolant.

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan