Spy Modules

I read recently that many new cars have spy modules in them. That is they record your speed, deployment of air bag, use of seat belts and other data that may be used in court against you.

Are thye present in Subarus? And if so, how can you either disable them or spoof them?

Al

Reply to
Al

They also record your fingerprints. And the ones with OnStar record every word you say.

Reply to
Alan

! That's an interesting attitude ! The way I see it, since I generally obey the law and am a careful driver that little box contains data that will most likely be used in court to my advantage!

Why, what are you hiding? :-)

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

I have heard of people surrounding the hard drives in their computers with thermite, rigged to an "Oh shit, the feds are at my door!" button. I have considered that somebody could do the same with the little black box, wherever it may be. Get in a wreck and think you may be at fault? Burn it!

--Dan

Reply to
dg

I agree... I have nothing to hide. I understand the systems are necessary for the safety systems to work properly, which makes sense. There's always the risk that the data might, at some point, be wrong. But the bottom line is... if you don't get in trouble, there will be no one looking at the data... so don't get in trouble. I hope that the info does start being used in court... it will be to my advantage also. John

Reply to
John M.

They're not 'Spy modules'. Inherent to the design of systems such as the air bag and OBDII diagnostics certain modules, record up the last 5 seconds of crucial data such as acceleration, speed, RPM. Currently these 'blackboxes' are not used alot in court but in my IMHO they should be.

Recently there was a story (C&D I think) where a driver was involved in an accident that killed the other driver. He hit her as she was backing out of her driveway. He claimed he was going 50mph in a marked 30mph the air bag system recorded his speed as 150mph!

It is against federal law to knowingly disable or modify any safety system in a motor vehicle. It's also stupid and dangerous, this could easily result in you air bag going off while driving or not at all.

I doubt this will turn into an Orwellian society where a Police officer will subeona your car ECU so that they can get you on a 10mph speeding ticket.

BTW, if you remove the computer after an accident and it is asked for, the courts tend to see fail> I read recently that many new cars have spy modules in them. That is

Reply to
null

Should you disable or spoof it, you'll be found guilty of tampering with safety equipment and open a whole lot of sorrow on yer ass........not to mention your airbag won't deploy, and the MAN will want to know why! No matter, you'll be too hurt to care at that point.

Reply to
John

I think they record a very limited time period, and are really only useful when trying to figure out what happened in an accident - the only case I have heard them being used against someone was when some pinhead broadsided another car at over 100mph (never touched the brakes) and killed them, then in court stated they were going the speed limit and tried to stop. I for one am happy the recorder was there, and the pinhead that got busted deserves everything he gets (which hopefully includes a little extra for lying under oath)

I bet the people opposed to the black box are the same ones opposed to red light cameras...

Reply to
David & Caroline

Yes they also record how many times you have sex in what seat and who you are having sex with. Juicy court evedence indeed.....

Reply to
al gu

Reply to
null

I would like an option to "opt in" for any "features" which will benefit me. BTW, you've never read "1984" by Orwell?

In my 45 years, Gawd-has it been that long, I had only 2 accidents. And both times I was hit in the rear while I was stopped in traffic. No spy modules needed here.

I am in favor of technology as it has done a lot of good, but I don't need gadgets to keep me safe. The only thing my ABS in my Outback has done for me is to cost me $1100 to have it replaced when it failed.

Al

Reply to
Al

Sure, but I thought "Animal Farm" was a better book.

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

yes you do. your privacy! why should anyone capitulate to endless intrusions by the state?

anyway, er, just be sure to wear your tinfoil suit while in the car.

Matt Arvidson

Hey, I know you're from New Zealand!

Don't feed the Troll!!!