Starting Problem with 2004 Outback when cool.

Having sporadic problems stating car when the temperature drops below 40°F. The car has under 2,200 miles with the manual transmission. So far we have not been stranded but there is no confidence the car will start. We will drop the car at the dealer to try to duplicate problem for a repair. My concern is, if the dealer is not able to duplicate then we are left with the problem. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks for helpful comments. John

Reply to
John Rei chert

Does it crank briskly and never fires or does it seem like the battery is going dead?

When we picked up our car new, we had to insist on a new battery. When we test drove the car, the battery was dead and had to be jumped. Just a couple of deep discharges will ruin a battery. Perhaps this happened to yours and you need a new battery.

If it doesn't fire, I'd first dump a dose of water absorber in the gas tank and see if that helps.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I once had a Corolla that had a similar problem. Turned out that the clamps on the battery were loose. When it got cold enough, the clamps worked loose just enough to cause a mediocre contact. Tightened 'em up and the problem was solved.

Reply to
Ron

The car has been fine since I posted the note. The dealer found no problem. My wife, her car, has a tendency to drive until the gas tank is almost empty. I never liked this practice, especially in the fall when the temperature can drop quickly and cause the moisture in the air to condense in the tank. I did add a can of "dry gas" or methanol for the purist. Hopefully the problem was moisture in the gasoline. Thanks for comments. John

Reply to
John Rei chert