2004 Focus TDCi metallic clunking sound when starting

2004 Focus TDCi metallic clunking sound when starting

Every time the engine is started there is a metallic clunking sound. Once the engine starts and I release the ignition key the metallic sound stops and the engine runs fine. I thought the sound could be coming from the starter motor but standing facing the engine from the front, the noise seems to be coming from the left. I believe the starter motor is at the right.

The car runs very well with no other problem apart from the metallic clunking sound when starting.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

In message , Alt Beer writes

Someone else will come along and confirm but it sounds like it could be the dual mass flywheel (DMF) which is a common problem on modern diesels.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The Focus went to two repair places this morning.

First one confirmed that the noise was to the left not flywheel end and thought it might be a problem with an engine mounting.

Second place took off the bottom splashguard cover and confirmed the problem to be the auxiliary drive belt tensioner.

A pleasing outcome.

Reply to
Alt Beer

Useful info. thanks for the update. I had thought of the engine mount, but since you had no other faults when driving that seemed unlikely.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

believe the starter motor is at the right.

since you had no other faults when driving that

As an additional note, I went to a third repair place this morning. I couldn't park close to the workshop so the bloke didn't get a chance to listen to the sound so I described it to him.

He thought it might be the DMF but he went on to say "don't worry about it too much, they can go on like that for years"

I have no idea whether it is advisable to continue driving with a clattering DMF but that's wheat he said.

Reply to
Alt Beer

no, don't go far once the dmf starts to play up, if they fly apart you may add a lot of expensive damaged bits. Have a look on Honest Johns site for description of dmf failure: starts with a bit of a clunky start, then clunky gear changes, and usually eventual total failure which just stops the car, in the mean time it can take the starter motor, and possibly other bits.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What sort of mileage are we talking on DMFs? My daughter has a '52 Focus TDCi and it's just had a new starter... As she rarely comes home I can't get to listen to it, but it would be good to know if it's likely to cost me an arm & a leg in the near future!

Reply to
asahartz

they can fail at very low mileages (20k - on), one of the early signs is that the starter gets clogged up with metal particles and fails.

Reply to
Mrcheerful