Still have 96 OB problems

167K miles on my 96 OB. Runs great EXCEPT for two things:

1-The CEL going on within 70 miles after reset and the $%^& temp gauge. The last time the mechanic reset the CEL he said he cleaned something out but I don't remember what (he's not available for me to inquire).

No detrimental codes, gas cap is fine. Why the CEL?

2-The temp is fine and the gauge remains in the 8:30 position...EXCEPT if I stop. It will remain in the 8:30 position until I start to accelerate again. The gauge will run up to the 10:00, 11:00 and even the 12:00 positions and then drop down. The car will not overheat. One mechanic at Subaru told me that antifreeze is mixing into the gas and I should cut my losses. That was five months ago. I do often add antifreeze.

Again the car does not overheat. One mechanic used a laser thermometer and told me that the temperature was fine. Another told me that there could be air in the line.

Why the gauge problems?

Thanks to all.

Ric

Reply to
RAJP53

One last thing: I have a K&N air filter.

Reply to
RAJP53
[...]

One last thing: I installed a K&N air filter.

Why the gauge problems?

Thanks to all for the advice.

Ric

Reply to
RAJP53

Try looking into the overflow tank (not the radiator) while the engine is fully hot and idling, and see if there is any gas bubbling up.

Is the oil chocolate brown by any chance?

Reply to
nospam

Try looking into the overflow tank (not the radiator) while the engine is fully hot and idling, and see if there is any gas bubbling up.

Is the oil chocolate brown by any chance?

Not brown but coffee cream.

Reply to
RAJP53

sounds like head gasket! If it looks like chocolate milkshake, its usually a head gasket (or other leak) letting water into the oil. Are you having to top up the radiator water at all?

In answer to the question "Are you having to top up the radiator water at all?", Yes, I have to top up the radiator with anti-freeze about once or twice a week. If it is the head gastket as "a"a@hotmail suggested, what kind of job is that? Is it worth repairing in an otherwise good running 167K miles 96 OBW? Thanks so much for the advice.

Reply to
RAJP53

That job is expensive because it requires removal of the engine. Once the engine is out, you might as well replace it with a refurb or a used engine with lower mileage. The 96 (2.5l I presume) was the first year of that engine on the US market and could be quirky - they changed quite a few things in the 97 - 99 DOHC model.

Whether it's worth it or not - that depends on a. whether you have a good mechanic with affordable rates. b. the condition of the rest of the car.

96 is by no means old for a Subaru, but at 167k, you've got to also allow for axles (CV joints), wheel bearings maybe a new cat (exhaust system) in your budget.

florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/