A broken seal or boot leaking fluid on hot exhaust system can be odor source. If you can drive on ramps and look underneath, it is easy to find. I had that problem on my '98 and it was repaired under drivetrain warranty. Frank

Reply to
Frank

On 2006-03-13, SB penned:

This happened to my mom's car once. Turned out that mice were hiding dog food in the engine somewhere. It was amazingly expensive to get it all cleaned out, too.

Reply to
Monique Y. Mudama

Most likely so. CV boot split and that grease gets on exhaust - nasty smelling stuff from all reports.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I've also experienced mice building nests near the fan. You can imagine the result. Very expensive to have it cleaned too. Makes mechanics hate their job.

If this is the case, you might only smell because the fan is importing the odor.

Reply to
johncory

Thanks to those who replied. A follow-up question if I might: If this were some kind of fluid leak, wouldn't we notice residue underneath the car? We park in the same spot every night, and we've never noticed any stains or fluid on our driveway.

Thanks

Reply to
SB

If it is a leaky boot, it is grease that will be leaking, not a fluid, and it will drip down onto your exhaust pipe and cat, thus the stink as the grease burns off.

Reply to
flyfisher7