struts on Outback: expected age/mileage, cost to replace

I'm creeping up on 115k on a 2001 OBW, and taking bumps now is such that it feels like time for struts. Would y'all concur?

What should I expect to pay for replacements, any other suspension parts that are generally changed out at the same time (I'm having some issues with steering wheel vibration at speed, and the brand new tires didn't eliminate that fully though they helped a LOT)?

Thanks for any insights/shared experiences on these.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Hi, We had good luck with KYB adjustable gas struts. heavier sway bars, sway bar links(to metal one), Teflon bushings, and Eibach springs, strut tower braces. If you want better strut, go for Bilstein.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I just got some KYBs put on my 03 OBS (160k kms). I never noticed until after that the inside shoulder of my rear tires were wearing, so I got an alignment done afterwards. The mech took the wear pattern as a sign that the shims may be in need of replacement, and shims can't be replaced without taking the whole mess apart again. Thankfully, the shims were OK, but that might be something to have examined while the struts are being replaced.

Chicobiker

Reply to
Chicobiker

Hi, When you replace struts, wheel alignment is a must.

Reply to
Tony Hwang