Subaru BRZ/Toyota GT

Any experience or commentary on the differences between these two? I mean, they're the same car, but presumably packaged differently. Very tempting...

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Biggest/only significant difference is the suspension set up, well documented in many online reviews, Google or Bing will assist you greatly. Also consider that Toyota dealers are easier to find and often not quite such a parts/service rip off as Subaru Stealerships (based on European experience).

Any experience or commentary on the differences between these two? I mean, they're the same car, but presumably packaged differently. Very tempting...

Reply to
Illuminated

Already seen a couple FR-s' around here, but so far no BRZ.

Shoot, I wanted to have the first one on the block...

Reply to
hachiroku

it seems that "small" deviation in suspension setup makes all the difference.

the market is voting against understeer on a rearwheel driver meant to drift drift and then drift once more. whad a surprise

Reply to
AD

I had an '85 Corolla GTS and an '88 Honda Accord, and the understeer was WAY worse on the Honda. One thing I liked about the Corolla was how even the handling was, nearly neutral in every way.

The Honda on the other hand...can you say "Lift throttle oversteer"?

Reply to
hachiroku

If that would make you feel any better I could tell you that this century accord added spongy brakes to the understeer offence. I was utterly (unpleasantly) surprised how vague and disconnected the whole car felt even compared to the last century sonata. I think that brother's wife's accord was circa 2006 or 2007 year model. I drove it circa 2010, don't think she chewed up a set of brake pads by then but I don't think 3-4 years was nearly enough to pick up any air into the brake lines, anyhow what i;'m getting to is that it's pointless to discuss manufacturer to manufacturer as it's say pointless to discuss celica to odyssey. your GTS was apparently geared to the crowd who cared about the fun a bit more than the accord drivers.

And I can say "Lift throttle oversteer" but the whole point of having a rear wheel driver is to have a neutrally steering or a slightly oversteering car which FR-S (former variety) apparently is and brz apparently is not.

Reply to
AD

Guess I'll just have to try each one out and see what the deal is.

Um, BTW, didn't Subaru go to ALL cars having AWD? So, the BRZ breaks this?

It would be an interesting car w/AWD, for sure.

And, last centuray or this century, a good car is a good car. Toyota really went for the Fun Factor w/ the GTS, and I made full use of it.

Reply to
hachiroku

The BRZ is Subaru's only two-wheel drive car. Reportedly they did look at making it AWD, but decided it wasn't worth the extra weight and other changes that would be needed.

The Toyota 86 was released here in New Zealand a couple of weeks ago and I've already seen one or two on the road. The Subaru BRZ isn't due here until December, but apparently all of the first batch of cars have been sold already. reportedly there's already a two year waiting list in Australia for the GTS version of the Toyota 86.

Reply to
Your Name

I'd rather keep it fun and light with the engine, chassis and the stick trickling into the rest of the lineup.

Killing impreza chassis and manual transmission would be a good start making 5 door awd variants built on brz chassis

(hopefully FHI would've taken a lesson or two from toyoda on suspension setup by then. impreza is marketed towards the younger crowd so i don't see how soft and boring suspension is meant to fit the bill)

maybe wrx will be compretitive with the handling prowess of it's sole competitor by then

Reply to
AD

The Subi has limited slip - mechanical I think. Well worth the difference IMO. Around here, most of the Toyotas are autos, Subis sticks. Shows the difference in audience. It's small but easily outgunned by the Genesis coupe if that's your thing.

Reply to
homey

on the differences between these two?

What meds are you on? there haven't been a single fhi product south of sti with a proper rear diff for a half a decade or so

it's gone from the entire lineup

Reply to
AD

y on the differences between these two?

well, I'm surprised but;

*****snip*****

Economy, city/highway, combined Premium 93 octane gas required

13.2 US gallon tank, 50 L, 11.0 Imp. gal Use a maximum of 10% ethanol manual 22/30, 25 automatic 25/34, 28

Rear wheel drive S

Limited slip rear differential, Torsen (torque sensing). Both rear wheels are powered S

VSC and Traction TCS- vehicle stability control and traction control system (note- previous Subarus have had VDC- Vehicle Dynamics Control) S, with 5 settings TCS 'Off" setting allows wheel spin when accelerating. it reactivates over 31mph unless the VSC is also off. VSC and TCS has 'Sport' and 'Off' settings. Sport allows some slipping before the VSC and TCS activates. Off shuts both VSC and TCS off for complete driver control.

*****snip*****

from;

1 Lucky Texan

The BRZ is different from every other car in Subaru's line-up ... mainly because it's really a Toyota in (slight) disguise. From memory, the BRZ is the only Subaru sold in New Zealand that doesn't have four-wheel drive.

Reply to
Your Name

Only Soob sold in North America without 4wd too. It is actually a Toyota with a Subaru engine - and Toyota engine controls. Not sure who's diff they use, but I suspect it is a Toyota piece.

Reply to
clare

commentary > >> > on the differences between these two?

Yep, I thought so - I was going to post that it's really a Toyota with a Subaru engine earlier, but didn't have time to double-check that my memory wasn't playing tricks.

The BRZ was launched here a few weeks ago, but the Toyota version isn't due intil December (and the first shipment is already sold out).

Reply to
Your Name

I wonder why is that. Would not have anything to do with the suspension setup or would it?

If I wanted oversteer I'd get a typical run on the mill front wheel drive piece of trash.

Reply to
AD

I don't know. I think it was a fairly limited number they were bringing in. It could also be all the old Supra and Celica owners upgrading and not wanting the Subaru badge. :-)

Reply to
Your Name