Subaru Forester woes

Can anyone help? I have a 1999 Scooby Forester that was originally imported from Japan when it was new and has the jap speck 240 bhp engine.. About 6 months ago the 'check engine light came on and the car lost all power. This was diagnosed as a faulty Airflow meter and was replaced. Everything was good for about a month, then the engine light began coming on intermitantly. Again the fault was diagnosed as the airflow meter which was replaced again, but this has not sorted the problem. The car drives fine one day then goes throgh a spate with the light coming on. The only other symptom is that the car seems to slightly miss fire, for a couple of seconds before driving normally again. Also has anyone else experienced warped brake discs and the overhead clock developing a mind of its own and coming on when it pleases.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Reply to
Ridgey

Sounds like wiring to me? Boy those can be hard to track down.

Oh yes. Let me guess the last person to do your brakes thought it'd be a good idea to machine the rotors? Or the last yahoos to rotate your tires used impact wrenches to put your lugnuts back on but decided to forgo the use of a torque stick? These are two rather common ways you end up with warped rotors.

This actually has an outside chance of being related to the first issue. Check for corroded grounds, frayed wires, loose connections and the like. If you have a wiring diagram and seeing how that airflow thingee connects to the world, that might give you where and what to look at before giving the pros another shot at debugging it.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk says...\

"Warped disks" are usually "pad-deposited" disks...operator error. The clock malfunction looks to be a bad solder joint; have an electronics tech friend touch up the joints for you.

Reply to
CompUser

Warped disks are often caused by not torquing the wheel bolts to the proper values i.e. impact wrench instead of a torque wrench or torque stick extension. Ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:01:27 -0500, Todd H. wrote (in article ):

I had repeated problems with the Check Engine light coming on in a 1985 Honda Prelude Si. Under warranty, the dealer tried everything, even replacing the computer. Finally, they kept the car for a couple of days to take the wiring apart, clean all the contacts, and put it back together. That solved the problem.

Reply to
John Varela

I would remove and clean all under hood ground connections. i.e. battery, chassey (spring tower), to engine, and including the starter. Next clean the alternator connections.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

couple of seconds before driving normally again.

Try new plug wires.

ByeBye! S.