Subaru oil consumption class action lawsuit - many models

Subaru won't admit this, and won't issue a recall... http://www.girardgibbs.com/subaru-oil-consumption-class-action-lawsuit/

X-Eliminator wrote:

Have you stopped spamming your e-Bay auctions in Usenet so I can remove my filter (flag, not kill) for you?
eBay policy: "Currently, you can share your eBay listings with friends on Facebook." Usenet is not included.
You are such a troll. You need to get a life.

X-Eliminator wrote:

I was and never have spammed my eBay auctions in Usenet. That was you. Oh yes, everyone that disagrees with your behavior must certainly be a troll, uh huh. Have you stopped spamming YOUR e-Bay auctions in Usenet? Your childish reply indicates you do still spam in Usenet so I'll continue using my filter that flags your posts as potentially spam.
I see you are also a lazy poster. You created a jumbled mess in your reply by mixing top- and bottom-post with quoted content and your reply content. I don't care if you top- or bottom-post but if that is truly your choice of posting order then [re]arrange quoted content in the same order; else, you're lazy. I'll update the comment on my filter to note that, too.
On 8/17/2015 2:51 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

Why get into a pissing match here?
As a Subaru owner and considering getting a new one, post is important.
"Frank" wrote

No matter. I looked up the cited page and got the customary 404 error: page not found. My 2016 Legacy 4-cyl is on order; I'll post here in a few months as to whether or not I have oil-consumption issues. I specify "oil." ;-)

Frank, hopefully you will have the reliability I've experienced with my 2014 Forester 2.5 (36,500 miles so far) and 2015 Outback 2.5 (9,000 miles so far). I have no oil consumption issues with either nor any other issues.
On 8/18/2015 2:34 PM, PAS wrote:

Just had my '03 Forester serviced and I guess I might get a couple of more years out of it.
Low mileage but did have the head gasket problem at only 40,000 miles but out of warranty.
I like to keep tabs on how the line is doing. Wife has an '08 Forester.
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 1:06:09 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:

t.

Subarus are good cars but not without quirks.
Lot of people are joining the brand recently, coming from Honda etc., who are completely naïve, not aware that Subaru can be, and is a quirky car, that needs some attention. Not only higher maintenance because of 4wheel drive but also because of minor quirks. Just yesterday changed coolant in my original 2000 Impreza L Coupe, a car in perfect shape, I mean spotless in an out (very reliable but again not without quirks) ...did a flush and refill, paying utmost attention to avoid creating bubbles in the system- blamed by many to be a cause of headgasket failure (bubbles helping create hotspots and undermining headgasket integrity).
Proper procedure: Flush and refill on flat ground, then warm-up, a short ride, parking on an incline, front up. Letting it cool down completely and re-filling, next morning (!) with almost half quart additional coolant.
Basia

What "higher maintenance because of 4-wheel drive" do you mean? I had a '83 Legacy wagon for 20 years and hardly needed to do anything to it beyond routine maintenance.
Patty
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:45:03 PM UTC-7, Patty Winter wrote:

Differential fluid changes for 'severe service" are mandated at 15,000 miles (see owners manual).
Two differentials, front and rear; in 110k miles- that's my cars milage, it equals total 14 changes (7x2 front and rear). That's a lot of work.
How do I know? I've done it all myself.
Plus need to rotate wheels, ideally every 7500 miles as AWD is sensitive to unequal wear. In 110k miles that equals +/- 12 rotations assuming 2 new sets of tires. I've had this done for free by the tire sellers. None the less it is a lot of work.
I am not even mentioning the need to keep tires evenly inflated, something a Honda owner might never have paid attention to while owning his or her Honda.
Subarus are good cars but quirky.
Basia

Guess that's changed, because my manual only calls for an *inspection* every 15,000 miles; it doesn't mandate a change. Since I don't drive under severe conditions, mine only needs to be checked every 30K miles. I guess your inspections revealed that you actually did need a fluid change every 15K miles.
Patty
On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 8:05:03 AM UTC-7, Patty Winter wrote:

Nope. Manual mandates changes every 15k.
Check your warranty and maintenance book carefully for small print.
Here is a copy of service schedule from warranty book for year 2014. See not #3- All models except BRZ NEED to have oil in their differentials changed every 15k under severe service schedule.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2014.html
Also see not #4, same goes for Auto transmission fluid.
Basia
On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 1:27:00 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Forgot about note #5, brake fluid. Same thing, 15k if driven in humid or mountainous areas. I am in Reno, and drive in 'mountainous areas' daily. Also it is almost always humid in the mountains in winter.
I need to perform this service now, as I have not been changing brake fluid that often, more like every 25k miles, two, three years, actually.
Basia
On 9/11/2015 4:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Often wonder if coolant change service was the source of my head gasket failure. It was done by a reliable shop that I deal with, not a dealer.
Even though out of warranty but fixed at Subaru dealer. I ran into son's friend afterwards who works at SOA and told him about it and he gave me a number to call that resulted in ~1/3 reimbursement after I furnished them all service records done by dealer, myself and others.
On 9/11/2015 5:55 PM, Frank wrote:

My two Outbacks are old (1995 and 1997) with quite a bit of mileage (160000 and 185000) so maybe I don't know the issues with present-day (meaning after 2000) models. But the radiator for each of mine has a vent screw you are supposed to open when you are putting in coolant. It is in the top of the fitting where the upper hose attaches, opposite side from where you put in coolant. When that is unscrewed it lets out air that would otherwise be trapped. So there is no need for this "park it on an incline", etc. Have Suby quit putting vents in the cooling system? My Alfa Romeos have had similar vents, usually in the top of the water pump which was on the front of the engine. And I know many other cars do also. So this is not unique to Subys. It works perfectly for me! Bob Wilson
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 1:49:40 PM UTC-7, Robert Wilson wrote:

Interesting. I definitely don't see anything like that on the 2000 Impreza. On the 2013 Forester XT, which is a turbo car there is large air inlet above one side of the radiator so I am not 100% sure.
Basia
On 9/12/2015 4:49 PM, Robert Wilson wrote:

My concern was that the non-Subaru shop that changed my coolant may not have vented it properly. I'll never know. Did not notice that the year before I needed the head gasket repair, I had a leak and water pump was replaced but now checking my records, I see that repair was done at the Subaru dealer after the non-dealer antifreeze change the year before. It was a year later, I needed the head gasket.
As an older driver, only driving 5-6 thousand miles a year, my '03 Forester only has 63 thousand miles on it. Looks great and performs well but I will replace it if a cost of repair exceeds the book value.
I'd buy a new Forester but would discuss it with SOA contact beforehand.
On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 9:37:22 AM UTC-7, Howard Lester wrote:

Opens fine in my browser.
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 13:49:04 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

Works fine for me too. There are at least two oil consumtion class action lawsuits. This is NOT the well known head gasket issue of earlier years.
Rather this pertains to defective piston rings on different 2011-2014 models:
http://www.girardgibbs.com/subaru-oil-consumption-class-action-lawsuit/
http://www.zimmreed.com/case/subaru-oil-consumption/