Class Action Lawsuit against Jeep for 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees

Another Grand Cherokee Class Action Suit Forming Against DaimlerChrysler - posted 11/24/2004

KCTV5.com out of Kansas City is reporting that a new class action suit is being formed for owners of 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees. Here's the details:

If you own a Jeep Grand Cherokee, you may have some money coming to you.

Class action lawsuits were filed Monday in Jackson and Johnson counties alleging DaimlerChrysler hid information about defective front brakes on model years 1999 through 2004.

For more information, contact Lenexa lawyer Michael Hodges at 913-888-7100.

Here's the link to the KCTV5.com story.

TheKansasCityChannel.com indicates that the lawsuit it only open to residents of Kansas and Missouri only:

The lawsuits allege that after as little as 5,000 miles, the steering wheel and front wheels "shake" and that drivers encounter severe vibrations through the steering wheel, floor, seat and pedals when the brakes are applied.

DaimlerChrysler has never issued a recall for a problem with the front brakes.

The lawsuits seek to force the carmaker to reimburse Kansas and Missouri residents for all costs spent repairing the brakes.

Check out the entire article here. TheKansasCityChannel.com - News - Firm Files Class-Action Lawsuit Over Brakes On Jeeps

Reply to
Mark12211

Yep, well known problem on WJs. My '01 (traded off last summer) started chattering at about 7k, the dealer replaced the fromt rotors, calipers & pads FOC under warranty. No campaign as it's likely not a safety issue. Now, my neighbor also has an 01 with the same problem, but about 60k miles. The dealer wanted to charge him over $700k for the repair. He passed. We plan to just wswap out the rotors & pads, using aftermarket iron rotors, not the DC composit crap, which is the root of problem.

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'm not sure about the caliper alignment, but the one's they installed are of a newer design. When I complained about it my dealer Service Manager took it in immediately and swapped them out. He said it's a campaign and covered by a DC TSB. (Not sure the number). I think '02 MY was the change point for the newer caliper design for WJs, not sure.

I had a small amount of chatter return after they changed them out but never bothered to go after it any longer as I planned to trade the thing off anyway. FWIW, that was the only problem I had with it in over 20k miles, it was a great vehicle for what I needed at the time. Sorry to see what they've done to the new one.

Reply to
SoK66

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 17:51:18 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "SoK66" :

At $700k I think I'd pass too... ;-)

Reply to
Bob Casanova

My gf's brakes did the same thing on her 1999 GC. We happened to read in a consumer magazine that Midus Muffler pointed out to us, about a kit from the dealer to fix the problem. My Wrangler was in for another reason and I just happened to ask, they said it was a major problem on the 1999-2002 Grand Cherokees, and they didn't do the work to fix them, they suggested going to the dealer and gave us a copy of the article. We had the dealer put on the kit, which cost $997 including labor.

Reply to
Mark12211

Mark, you may want to take the issue to DC Customer Assistance and ask them to reimburse you. Depends upon how hard you want to fight with them over it, but they'll likely pop for the parts at least if put up some resistance.

Since my '01 was in warranty the dealer did it FOC, but it appears they're dodging it if the vehicle is over the 3yrs/36k. Put some pressure on them reimburse you under Goodwill (After Warranty Adjustment, etc.)

Reply to
SoK66

Newer design, caliper is different. Original 1999 - 05/2002 pads are not compatible with TSB calipers. Nick enlightened me (after I had wasted the TSB rotors as well) that newer design should dissipate heat more evenly.

And a comment about parts in Europe: I was quoted 247EUR for mopar metallic front pad set that fits the TSB calipers. Local jeep dealer (Helsinki) did not have that many spare parts at hand for WJs, but by miracle new mopar rotors and pads are availabe :-) By comparison Stillen pad set is roughly 90USD, mopar ones less. I did not dare to ask quote on warping mopar rotors...

Marko

Reply to
marko