Subaru Outback 3.6

Back in the days when crossovers were just something ghosts did, there was the Subaru Outback, a vehicle that looked like a wagon, but was superb off-road. Established in 1995, the Outback became the synonym for durability, ease of use, and excellent all around ability. Read More:

----------------------------------- Subaru NewsHub: Latest auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs

sjmmail2000-247

Subaru Outback, a vehicle that looked like a wagon, but was superb off-road. Established in 1995, the Outback became the synonym for durability, ease of use, and excellent all around ability.

Honestly, I don't think the look good at all, I prefer the previous style to these. Now they actually look like an SUV

Reply to
John

was the Subaru Outback, a vehicle that looked like a wagon, but was superb = off-road. Established in 1995, the Outback became the synonym for durabilit= y, ease of use, and excellent all around ability.

Me too.

"The new 2011 Outback look pretty good, words that would never have been uttered about previous generation Outbacks."

This is plain nonsense! The older Outbacks were fine, the old sedan version was terrific IMO.

Whats wrong with this beauty?

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

To me the look of Outback is fine, both the older and the newer. I just wish the sedan styling would be more refined. That's where Honda really shines (besides the milage, of course.)

Reply to
Cameo

Since 05 the outbaack is awful. No big foglights and raised roof. Subaru styling is just more cookie cutter japanese blob

Reply to
Big Jim

the Subaru Outback, a vehicle that looked like a wagon, but was superb off-road. Established in 1995, the Outback became the synonym for durability, ease of use, and excellent all around ability.

I also prefer the 'wagon' look, but wagons are 'out' in the states, as in fashion. All the opinion polls show that people want to sit up high in traffic and have the protection of a lot of steel around them, big bumpers, etc.

Wagons I hear are still popular in other markets like Europe.

*R* *H*
Reply to
Rockinghorse Winner

the Subaru Outback, a vehicle that looked like a wagon, but was superb off-road. Established in 1995, the Outback became the synonym for durability, ease of use, and excellent all around ability.

Station wagons are not 'out' but are in a different market category than they used to be -- no more suburban kid haulers, they are status symbols for those who can afford them. Go to your nearest gated community and count the Audi and Mercedes and Volvo wagons. Slightly downscale are the VW station wagons and, of course, Subarus. In every range there will be an upper bound and among 'station wagons' this is probably it:

One year of maintenance and insurance on this will probably buy you an Outback.

Reply to
John McGaw

Those are crossovers.

Reply to
Cameo

the Subaru Outback, a vehicle that looked like a wagon, but was superb off-road. Established in 1995, the Outback became the synonym for durability, ease of use, and excellent all around ability.

I have a '07 OBS and I like wagons because they fit my minimum requirement of room for two deer and gear for deer hunting. Of course the deer only get to come on the ride back and they don't complain about the crowding.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

No room for two deer and gear. No ground clearance for getting to deer camp.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I love wagons. I think this week alone I have seen about a dozen 1992-94 Camry wagons, and a couple '96-98s. Love em. But I would like to have one with AWD. Oh, I do. A Legacy with a blown head gasket... :(

Reply to
Hachiroku

Dog owners loke them as well to haul dogs around safely in the back.

Reply to
Cameo

My own Soob is a '00 Outback Limited.. it's still "station wagonny". I like to have an earlier GL type from back in the late '80s but I'd hate to give up the "cush factors" and the 2.5 liter power.

I guess I'm an olde farte... I want a "station wagon" to look like a station wagon, and an SUV to look like a real off-road vehicle.

I'm not exactly sure, but "Sport Utility Vehicle" tag was invented by Ford when they brought out the Bronco II back about '83. (I owned an '88, it weren't perfect, but it went places that I probably shouldn't have been, many times!)

As for "station Wagons", I come from back in the '50s and Chev Nomads and Pontiac Safari's. One of the best of the '60s "cleanest looking wagons" was the 64-65 Chevelle 2-door wagon.. Just plain "clean".

I gag when I see Cadillac Escalades.... and the "Tonka/Hasbro Toy" new Toyota FJ40...

Reply to
Nobody > (Revisited)