Subaru's stubborn low grades in the U.S.

As I said before, and just looking over latest Consumer Reports, Subaru is top rated. They do their own testing and surveys with only individual member support. I would certainly trust them more than others that get business support.

Reply to
Frank

I am convinced.

Reply to
Cameo

You've always been this subversive trying to up a count of citations but actually citing the same reference? I be you double-spaced your school essays, too, to get to the required page count faster with less content.

Reply to
VanguardLH

I don't see anyone else bitching about my posts but you. That should tell you something.

Reply to
Cameo

I count three or four who disagree with you and none who agree.

Reply to
John Varela

Really? They sure kept quiet then. Besides, where was I citing the same citations repeatedly?

Reply to
Cameo

They are in this thread. All you have to do is look.

I didn't say you did.

Reply to
John Varela

There are people on both sides.

Btw., in law the burded of proof lies on the accuser.

I personally don't trust any of the surveys. They are NOT really independent work, there always seems to be some interest behind them. If it were a governmental agency conducting them I'd be somewhat more likely to rely on findings.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

Right, the government never has an agenda ;-)

Reply to
Wade Gattett

On one hand I think that it is a matter of expectations. People expect their Subaru to be, if not perfect, at least very very good and every little annoyance becomes something to complain about when the pollsters start asking questions. On the other hand, if you bought a Fiat 500 your expectations will be very low and little things going wrong might not look so bad. "Hey, I've made it to work four out of five mornings this week. Way to go Fiat!" On the third hand if you just bought a Bentley Continental GT any imperfection, no matter how small, would be complaint-worthy. "Hey this one stitch on the rear seat is nearly 1mm out of place -- what kind of crap are they selling?" Of course no cars of this class are never going to have surveys done about them so they don't show up.

Reply to
John McGaw

These are good points.

Reply to
Cameo

No, you did not. I just wanted to answer also the poster who did. BTW, I think a lot of this hostility toward me for bringing up such articles is probably cognitive dissonance, when in fact I bring it up mainly to get a reassurance for myself that my intention to buy a Crosstrek is validated by you guys, the long term owners. So, by debunking such articles is actually reassuring me and thatnks for that.

Reply to
Cameo

I bought a new Crosstrek in January and have been very pleased with it. I got the base model with optional EyeSight.

In part of the thread I mentioned the high marks given it by Consumer Reports. They also said that the Crosstrek hybrid was not worth the extra cost to just get an extra 4 mpg. I have been averaging over 30 mpg with just local driving.

Reply to
Frank

Thanks. That sounds real good and encouraging.

Reply to
Cameo

In this thread: You cite AutoNews who cites JD Power. Autonews cites comments from Tom Doll who reacted to the IQS study (by JD Power). Autonews didn't do the research. They just cited JD Powers.

In your other thread: You cite ... wait for it ... JD Power.

Lots of authors will cite JD Powers as their source. Same info, same source. No surprise there that the FUD keeps flowing. Multiple articles citing the same source still counts as just one source.

You had plenty of prior respondents that specified why the IQS study was flawed by just using a count without any weighting by severity and nothing about how IQS relates to reliability as the vehicle ages. Air bags deploying is just *1* problem but is a hell of lot more severe than just the *1* problem with a low-fuel indicator being off about 5-20 miles on its estimate.

The IQS rating isn't worthless but it is highly skewed without regard to severity or cost to repair/replace. Citing multiple article that cite the same source (JD Power's IQS) isn't going to make more accurate or relevant that JD Power study.

Am I a Subaru fanboy? Not so much over the last decade. In fact, I was planning on getting another car and was looking at Toyota instead of getting another Subie. I wouldn't bother ranking either better than the other because the prep boys at the dealership happened to forget to put in the carpet mats, or they slapped on their dealer sticker on my car when I told them not to do so and that I would charge a monthly advertising fee (and when discovered on delivery, and reminded what I would charge them, then they removed their label). I don't rank car reliability by piddly and trivial stuff. I do consider the cost of having to replace leaking head gaskets (that Subaru lied about and then tried to proffer their own stop-leak mix as a solution) and the danger and nuisance of having to replace accidentally exploding Takada air bags (which was a recall, so no cost but still a nuisance to get repaired).

You might want to review the recalls on the vehicles in which you are interested to get an idea of the history of ills with those vehicles. Just remember that you're deliberately at all the bad stuff that happens. Another factor you might want to research is the average cost per year (and as the car ages) for maintaining the vehicle, and that includes fuel, oil changes, cost for part, insurance (that varies by the brand and model and other factors), initial price, loan interest, sales tax, tabs, depreciation (which varies by brand and model), and ALL expenses incurred in ownership. Last time I got motivated in looking at cars that I could afford with a low cost of ownership, Toyota won over Subaru.

with Subaru being $3544 versus the Toyota, but that was between the Outback SUV (wagon) versus the Camry SE sedan. If I compare against the Toyota RAV4:

then Subaru wins (but by a smaller $176 margin). Then, if I compare just within Subaru between the Outback and Forester:

then the Forester is more expensive (by $1060).

Often the charts showing total cost of ownership only span 5 years. I've kept my Subies for 20 years, the longest being 24 years. Eventually parts get hardware to find (manufacturers only have to produce them for 20 years) and more expensive, so, at some point, cost of ownership curves upware (but buying a new car is even more expensive). The charts show depreciation (with highest loss to least being Outback, Forester, Camry, and RAV4) which influences resale value, but you'd have to also figure in the initial price (from higher to lower being Outback, RAV4, Forester, Camry).

There are other online resources regarding cost of ownership, like:

(ordered from highest to lowest but only for 10 models) If you do your research, you can aggregate a compendium of reports regarding pricing, cost of ownership, reliability with age, and so on. So far, you're just citing one source (JD Power) with a problem count but no weighting regarding severety or cost to repair or replace. Citing more articles pointing at the same JD Power IQS study doesn't add any weight to that one annual study.

Reply to
VanguardLH

That's very smart.

I'm not a medical researcher but I believe some of the most relevent medical reports are systematic reviews with meta-analyses. That is, a number of independent studies are aggregated and then summarized to produce results.

Take JD Power, add in Consumer Reports, Jalopnik, Car and Driver, Edmunds, Kelley Blue Book, this forum, etc., and see what they all say. Don't go by one report alone; a new car is too large an investment to make without thoughtful and careful research.

Reply to
Ben Jammin

I'm afraid in most most people's car buying decision the emotional factor dominates. If somebody likes Subaru, he/she will find a way to justify its purchase.

Reply to
Cameo

In my comments in thread, I almost added that I have a Subaru bias but think they earned it. I have only bought nothing but Subaru's for the last 20 years. It is also cemented by the fact that we have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP no haggle deal. We also like the local dealers service. None of this caused me to buy my first Subaru. I wanted AWD because we live on a hill and I liked to go off road in hunting. I had looked at them and rejected them for previous years for stupid things like putting the spare tire under the hood. Our friend was not with SOA then and we did not know the dealership.

Previously my brother worked for GM dealers and I bought through him. He retired and went part time for Enterprise and is familiar with a lot of automobiles. He is also now a Subaru owner based on all his previous experience.

Reply to
Frank

Transmissions, specifically their automatic and CVT trannies. They don't make their own transmissions, instead they are outsourced to a company associated with Nissan, JATCO, which are some of the worst quality transmissions on the planet.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

The latest automobile issue of Consumer Reports (April 2019) rated the reliability of transmissions in all models of Subaru as well above average for at least the previous five years (2014-18), with the exceptions of the 2014 Impreza, 2015 Legacy, and 2014 and 15 Crosstrek, which were rated only above average for minor problems but still well above average reliability for major problems.

Reply to
John Varela