The car that parks itself

So what do people think about this thing? First step towards a self-driving car, maybe? Or just a gadget? I wonder if it can park in between yellow parking lot lines better than I can (not difficult)? :-)

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Do we really want to make it even easier for people too stupid to drive a car to get behind the wheel where they can kill the rest of us?

If anything, that learning curve isn't steep ENOUGH.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

'If you make everything foolproof, you will soon have a world full of only fools'.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Dan Duncan wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yeah - I heard something on the radio about that the other day - was that Paul Harvey? Can't remember.

Man - can you imagine what a repair bill on that system will be when it breaks down, or when you go to sell the vehicle how much the value of the vehicle will be dragged down if it broke and you didn't fix it?

Technology's wonderful and all that (I am an engineer), but I think we are beyond the point of diminishing returns on some of this stuff.

Bill Putney

That car is so freak'n small that if you cant park that yourself, not only should you have your license taken away. You should also be shot so we know you will never be able to get behind the wheel of a car.

Bonnevilles R Kewl

I suppose the good side of this increased 'intelligence' in cars is that , in the near future, I can just upload a list of beer, pretzels,chocolate,etc. and send it to the store by itself!

Then in a couple years after that it can go to work for me!

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I can see the lawyers and insurance companies lining up already. Let's say the car that parks itself hits another vehicle or even a person. Who's to blame?? Wasn't me....I wasn't driving....the car did it..I was merely a passenger. Oh boy.

I have to agree that if you cannot park your own car, you shouldn't drive your own car. Jay S

self-driving

Jay S

All the more reason to avoid putting anything with the word Microsoft, anywhere near a car. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I'm sure people used to say, "if you can't shift your own gears, you shouldn't drive". Well, actually they still say that.

And prior to that, "if you can't adjust the choke to the ambient temperature conditions, you shouldn't drive". And perhaps before that, they must've been saying, "if you can't handcrank your own engine up, you shouldn't drive". And so on. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

In case you haven't noticed, there are LAREADY people too stupid to drive out ont he roads today, with licenses in hands. And my beloved Pontiac's been dented way too many times by morons who don't know how to parallel park (and naturally, none have left notes fessing up).

Personally, I'd love to see these idiots not drive. But since that's not going to happen, I'd rather there be a car that can do a better job of parking itself than the owner can. At least maybe then I won't find new dings on my car every damn week.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Um, not only did I notice but I even said so.

You stripped this line out of my original message: "If anything, that learning curve isn't steep ENOUGH."

It only parallel parks. It doesn't slot park. Do you get dings from people parallel parking near you or from parking next to you and hitting you with the doors? Mine are mostly the latter, although I do have one big scratch on my front bumper, probably from a rear-mounted spare tire or hitch or bike rack or something.

Parking is a fairly small worry to me beause when people do it badly it doesn't result in nearly as many deaths as collisions at higher speeds. The part that scares me is that killing someone with a car is rarely a very serious offense if the person wasn't drinking. It's a misdemeanor in many places! If these people can't maneuver a car at low speed surrounded by stationary objects, I shudder to think how they manage on the road.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

Awww now c'mon, don't take that attitude - at least if its just software to control parking its not running all the time, and it won't have third party software riddled with memory holes either... so chances are just like my Win98 install it'd be brick outhouse solid.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

(literally),

Yeah, well, if I had a car that was as reliable as Win98, I'd dig a hole in the ground and bury it :) Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

Why does everyone else have reliability issues with 98? Mine has always been good to me!

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Don't get me started on Win98! ... and definately not WinME. Thats about 10 zillion times worse than 98!

WinXP is sure one hell of a mess!

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I still don't get it! I really don't!

Win95 retail (über buggy!) with no prollems. Win95 OSR2.5 no prollems (except with experimental USB support) Win98 no prollems. Win98SE no prollems. WinME slight network card issue, diagnosis bad drivers. WinXP no prollems.

Maybe Geoff's right - something's wrong here. Why do I not encounter issues?

Nick. Just wants to be normal.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

You failed to mention the only OS thats worth a damn from Microsoft.=20 Win2kPro is the only way to go.=20

I'm thinking of starting my own OS system called Doors XP. My software=20 company will be called Bighard. The operating system will do something=20 entirely new, such as not crash. What you guys think?=20

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

Combo of being lucky and the additional software. I'm a computer tech, and 90% of the same people who had problems with windows 3.1 crashing had problems with win95 crashing and now find ways to blue screen 2000/XP. XP/2000 is better than 9x which is better than 3.1 but a lot of it does come down to the user. Car analogy - haven't you noticed that some people just seem to have more car problems than others - no matter what kind of car it is?

Reply to
ray