How much am I gonna shell out to replace my outback exhast system

I've heard horror stories about replacing the exhaust system on my 97 Legacy outback. Even Midas wants $1200, so they say. Well now it's starting to get noisy, and I'm wondering if this is true, and why. Is there a cheaper alternative than taking it back to the dealer? Thanks

Reply to
Cappy

Edward Hayes

another option is to find an inspection station where you can, uh, make an arrangement, and put up with the noise... ;-) btw, why do you need to replace them?

Reply to
dasa

Thanks for the replies. Maybe it ISN'T that expensive. I was told by another owner that the whole unit has to be replaced all in one shot & it cost him over a grand three years ago, but from what I've read here and in the Subaru message board, that may not be true. It's just getting loud, is all, so maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. Jeez, I was ready to mortgage the house. Thanks for your help. Cappy

Reply to
Cappy