Last post a joke......lighten up people, don't get your panties in a bunch, I got the same problem

I got a 2000 F-150 with 36,000 miles and the stupid engine check lite stays on all the time. I got the guys at Jiffy Lube to reset it twice. It came back. The code is PO455. I just can't stand the thought of taking it into one of the mafia run dealerships to have it fixed. A vehicle with

36,000 miles should have no problems.....oops...this truck wasn't made in Japan....my mistake.
Reply to
san luis

Your problem is obvious: Ignoramous behind the wheel.

Reply to
Scott

You have a leak in your fuel evaporative system. Check your gas cap, the vapor lines from the charcoal canister to the fuel tank for leaks and canister purge solenoid for correct operation.

Reply to
sleepdog

thanks sleepdog, I have researched the fault code on the web and saw the gas cap and vapor line but not the purge solenoid.....I'll check it out. :-)

Reply to
san luis

You're right scoot, people like me shouldn't be allowed an opinion or existence in your world. LOL

Reply to
san luis

Charcoal canister might be rusted out... probably somewhere inside the left front wheel well, not sure.

Reply to
sleepdog

Since I apparently work for the Mafia, I guess I'll either have to break your kneecaps or pass on helping on this one I wouldn't want to be the one breaking any preconceived notions....

I'm still having trouble with the idea that the dealer is Mafia and JiffyLube is staffed with knowledgeable people....

Jim Warman snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net Senior Ford Tech - Diesel Certified.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Being that it's made of plastic I doubt it.

Reply to
pick one

Well that eliminates that as a root cause. I googled this and found mention of other similar sized vehicles that had metal canisters, might have been earlier models.

Reply to
sleepdog

Since your vehicle is a 2000 and has less than 50K miles on it, why don't you take it to the dealer. Most problems illuminating the light are emission related and are covered under the emissions warranty.

Your P0455 code is: EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large)

This should be covered under warranty. It is probably a loose or broken tube somewhere that may even be obvious to a complete novice. Quiturbitchin and get it properly repaired.

Reply to
lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

My friend has a 2004 Toyota Corolla that has the same problem, emission control leak. My 2002 Sonata has the same problem. Cannot find the leak in both cases. The dealers have done everything short of replacing the gas tank on these vehicles. A year later the same codes keep popping up. Toyotas fix........insert a small compressor to keep the fuel system charged. Band aid solution...........Hyundai's fix........same as toyotas........band aid solution. The leak is still there, and the codes keep popping up.

Reply to
razz

OBD2 emissions warranty is 2 years/24000 miles on minor components, 8 years/80000 miles on major components. The 2/24 may be extended by any bumper to bumper warranty that exceeds the 2/24, or an official recall on the failed component.

Evap components fall into the minor category.

At 5 years and 36000 miles, it looks like the OP gets to pay.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I'll check that but that would seem odd that in 5 years there would be that kind of rust, this is truck sleeps in a garage everynite and hasn't seen a lot of winter driving where there would be salt on roads or beach salt.

Reply to
san luis

I just read the fine print of my warranty......egr and emission system not covered under any warranty. I also came across an old receipt (unrelated) for an oil leak at 1500 miles......I paid $48 for that one.....at 1500 miles!!!!!!!!! Warranty??????? Yes I'll stick with my mafia statements.

Further more.....my old senior citizen neighbor...good guy.....has a nice new ford mini van.....I consider anything under 50,000 miles new LOL .......most my cars have had well over

100K......anyway......he took it in for 30,000 mile check and the DEALERSHIP charged him $500!!!!!!!!!! EGR components were changed....chasis lube, oil/filters, coolant. Nothing major.

So don't tell me what a warranty is worth.

Reply to
san luis

Sometimes people get confused, the extended warranty does not cover routine maintenance. IMO, the extended warranties actually promote routine maintenance business because new vehicle owners want to maintain a good relationship with their dealers in case anything major goes wrong.

I was shocked too when I paid about $400 for 30k maintenance, but everything the dealer did was required under the factory maintenance schedule.

So $500? Not unheard of at all.

Reply to
sleepdog

Jiffy Lube reset the fault code twice for FREE!!!!! You think any dealer would have done a 2 minute job for free? I don't think so. Not even after buying a $30,000 truck from them.

Reply to
san luis

You got nothing for free you knuckle head! They did not fix the problem.

Besides you more than payed for the resets in the price for your new oil pan after the former fry cooks at Jiffy Lube destroyed your oil plug threads.

Reply to
351CJ

Hey bone head, did I say they changed the oil? No I didn't.......pppppfffffffftttttttttttt

Reply to
san luis

I change my own oil and dump the old oil in the street at night just like you.............moron.......LOL

Reply to
san luis