Thinking of replacing Accord with Legacy

Two issues with the Accord:

  1. Wasn't able to go up the mountain to do skiing without chains. I thought front-wheel drive was good enough, but going upgrades meant that the weight of the car went to the back and the front slipped like crazy. :-( AWD should fix this, right?

  1. This accord has developed a symphony of squeaks and rattles. I reckon the Subaru should be less rattle-prone. Anybody has a Legacy that may comment on this?

My only beef may be the poor fuel economy, and loss of performance, of full-time AWD.

comments?

-Indirecto

Reply to
Indirecto

We've owned a Legacy Outback for 5 years and we traded the Accord for a WRX last year.

Accords *suck* in the snow. I had to drive up to Bend, Ore. from northern California to rescue my wife last winter. She got that far with the Accord and wouldn't drive it any further. We traded it for the WRX shortly after that. She loves to take the WRX (or the Outback) skiing.

No rattles, but I'm tracking down a resonance vibration in the exhaust that started at about

100k miles. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

The gas milage is not as good, but it's worth it for the quality of life with Subaru and snow.

The other positive to this deal is that instead of the 4 cylinder Accord *screaming* when you floor it, you'll just hear a nice authoritative growl from the Subaru.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The Accord isn't that bad in the snow. You just have to know how to drive it. Front wheel drive cars can accomplish quite a bit in the snow. Of course I'd choose my Outback over the Accord, but the Accord can go lot's of places, given the proper rubber.

Reply to
Bryce

"Proper rubber" will fix a slippage when going uphill?

I can do snow in the flat, it's going uphill when I have trouble.

-Indirecto

Reply to
Indirecto

Someone mention "proper rubber". I agree that four snow tires -- NOT TWO

-- can help a FWD car. I have been driving Saabs for the last 14 years, all FWD. But I have not driven an Accord in the snow, and it probably isn't as good as a Saab.

I got my Legacy wagon six weeks ago and had a chance to try it in just a bit of snow. So far, so good, and I was not using snow tires.

It's been a while since I drove an Accord, but overall, the driving experience on dry pavement seems very similar. You will feel at home.

Yeah, the fuel economy is worse. The best I have gotten is 24.5 mpg.

Reply to
Tom Reingold

I got 24 mpg straight up on my last tank, in town with my 02 Outback wagon with a five speed. That is with the roof rack off, and no cross bars. I wish the final drive turned the motor a little slower. I think its safe to say that the fives speeds can get pretty good mileage around town if you baby the car.

On a recent trip to Utah with a Yakima Spacesaver roof box mounted to Yakima crossbars, a car full of gear and a dog, driving 80 mph almost the whole way in mostly freezing temperatures with snow tires my mileage was as follows:

Driving West (into the wind) 80 mph unless noted

Tank 1 --24.1 (74 mph) Tank 2 --22.3 Tank 4 --20.5 Tank 5 --21.7 Tank 5B - in mountain resort and uncalculated

Driving East (tail wind - tank 10 was at 74 mph)

Tank 6-- 23.5 Tank 7--23 Tank 8--24.5 Tank 9--24.3 Tank 10-28.0 (74 mph)

nate

Reply to
uglymoney

What? Are you talking about 35% inclines or something?

Reply to
Bryce