replacing front end of 1993 subaru legacy

Hello, I have a 1993 subaru legacy that i suspect the wheel bearing is going out. At near highway speed there is a vibrating sound that seems to be coming from the front end, especially when turning, but can still hear it when driving straight. I also have a 1989 subaru legacy that i use for parts. My ? is can i switch the "front end" and if so what does that entail(sp?) Or maybe i dont need to do the whole front end i just want the problem to be fixed. Any suggestions?

Reply to
humboldthack

Don't know any reason why the entire hub can't be swapped. Would have to pull the CV axle, separate the hub from the lower ball joint, set the brake caliper off to one side, and finally those 2 lower strut mounting bolts.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

An '89 Legacy? Thought '90 was the first year for 'em . . .

Anyway, if it _is_ a Legacy, and not a Loyale/GL, pretty much everything should swap between the two cars, except:

I can't remember if the early Legacys had ABS, but if so, note that the ABS hub/axle is different from the non ABS, and probably will not interchange.

I'd try the CV axle first, but it's just about as easy (maybe easier, come to think about it) to swap the entire hub/axle as a unit.

Here's some beta:

Jack the front end and place jackstands. Remove the wheel. For the axle only, remove the axle bolt; 30mm socket (IIRC) and strong 1/2 in impact wrench. Separate the hub from the lower arm by removing a pinch bolt and applying a prybar. Use the appropriate pin punch (3/16?) to remove the pin holding the CV joint to the transmission. Remove the brake caliper and carrier, and wire it out of the way. Lift off the brake rotor and set it aside. For the entire hub, disconnect the sway bar link, remove both bolts at the bottom of the strut, and separate from the hub with a small prybar.

At this point, the axle alone, or hub/axle assembly. can be removed. The entire assembly is a bit heavy, but manageable.

Reassembly is pretty much the reverse. Note that the CV joint and tranny stub axle have a chamfer on one side of the pin hole; these must be aligned in order for the pin to go back thru. Use a punch to re-do the staking on the axle nut.

It's about a one-beer job unless there is significant rust.

This is a good time to service the brake system, too.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

Thank you much for the information. I was told when i got my parts car to look in the area where the door latches to see what year the car was, and it says its an '89. Yes it does have ABS. Now i just got to thinking, because i also have an '88 I guess Loyale sedan, i say i guess because i cant find the name of the car anywhere on the body, anyway, i just went to check to make sure the legacy _is_ an '89. So because of the ABS i cannot swap the hub/axle is there any thing that i can do that will keep me out of the auto parts store? Maybe it is something else going wrong? What should i check? Thank you again for the help!

Reply to
humboldthack

Aah, that. They start their production runs in like September or something. It's probably a '90.

The Loyale will have the EA82 (1.8l) motor, the Legacy will have the EJ22 (2.2l) The engine ID is stamped on the engine block, top, front, just to the left of the center as you're looking at it. If there's too much slime to see the ID number, EA82's had a distributor, the EJ22 has a coil pack under a plastic cover. What else? Oh; I think the Loyales used that funny 13 inch rim right up to the end; early Legacys will be 14 or 15 inch, 5 hole.

Well, I guess I phrased it wrong. The hub/axle parts will physically _fit_, no problems, but you will lose the ABS, as the sender is on the axle and the sensor is in the hub. If you go this route, also unplug the ABS fuse. The brakes will continue to work just fine, but w/o the ABS function. A warning light will come on to remind you of this. If you get that far, you might take a look, but I don't recall there being a way to accommodate the sensor on a non-ABS hub. You just might be able to pry the sender (a notched ring) off of the ABS axle and install it onto the non-ABS unit.

If you're real adventurous, I'm sure you could build an ABS set from parts at hand, but we're talking a lot of work; new bearings, dis-assemble and rebuild the axle, etc. Better off IMO, to hit a salvage yard for the parts; might be able to get 'em to pull a hub/axle/brake caliper as an assembly for about the same $$$ as any of the individual parts alone. Be sure they come off of a lo-miles car, as these are common wear-out parts on any Soobie. Parts from any Legacy thru '94 anyway should exchange OK.

And since by this point you're already in up to your elbows, I'll add that _if_ you find a low mileage car (ie.Maybe it is something else going wrong? What should i check? Thank

Sure your wheels are on tight? Bent or badly out of balance wheel? Bad tire? Try swapping the fronts and rears, or the wheels off of the parts car (remember, they all gotta be the same size) to see if that makes any difference. That's about all I can think of. Good luck.

ByeBye! S.