Timing belts

I bought an '01 OBW a month ago, with 36000 mi. on it. Very well kept-up, appears near new. So I'm happy as a clam and then, just as I'm falling asleep one night, I remember talking with my girlfriend's brother back in 1991 or so. He had a Subie and the timing belt had just broken, requiring a new engine. May I sleep with the assurance that Subaru definitely fixed that issue? Thanks,

Reply to
John Rethorst

Your 2.5L engine has a 105,000 miles replacement interval. Sleep well. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks ed.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Breaking the timing belt, by itself, will not require a new engine but if this occurs on a 2.5l with the "interference" valves then a valve could strike a piston when the belt breaks thereby the need for engine work. This was fixed in the newer years, not sure when, but I know my `97 Legacy has the interference setup. Info on this has been in this group before.

Reply to
RJ Walsh

Correct. But it is still an interference design. If it breaks, it interferes...

nate

Reply to
uglymoney

Splitting this thread a bit, Have a '97 Legacy with the 2.2L engine. My recollection is that this is a non-interference engine; correct?

Reply to
Jim

Don't know about 2.2.L engines but, SOA says "ALL 2.5 L ENGINES ARE OF THE INTERFERENCE TYPE" Ed Hayes

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I have a '96 Impreza with the same engine. The 2.2 is non-interference.

Reply to
Henry Paul

It is my understanding that all of the Subbi 2.2's are of the interfearence type. We all have opinions on this. Perhaps we can find a site that puts this to rest. Than we'll all know. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Reply to
pickle

I have the SOA service manual. Non-interference.

Reply to
Henry Paul

That's funny! Earlier this yr when I replaced the belt on my 00 SOC

2.5, I turned the cam shaft by hand with crank TDC and never felt any interference. I think it is just the dual OHC 2.5 that are interference designs.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Is it possible then to have the camshaft move accidentally while replacing the timing belt and not cause any damage?

Reply to
Henry Paul

I don't think turning it by hand as slow speed is a problem. The problem is when they collide at engine speeds. I tap two glass bottles lightly, and nothing happens. Smash them into each other at 25 MPH, and you end up with broken glass.

Reply to
y_p_w

How can you tell which one (SOHC or DOHC) your 2001 OBW has? I've looked through:

and can't find when Subaru went from one to the other. I'm not big on performance but (as a new owner of an '01) do want to know which engine I have so I can look at its history and take a proactive stance towards maintenance. Thanks,

Reply to
John Rethorst

The head size and timing cover size give it away. The dealer can tell you as well if you give them your VIN number.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Your 2001 is the SOHC version as is my 2000 Forester. The change over was in

1099 or 2000. As a double check whey not go to SOA at
and ask. ed
Reply to
Edward Hayes

Not wanting to get in any argument but. The piston doesn't get any higher than TDC as I had mentioned in original post. Rotating the cam ALL valves in that head have a chance to open and hit anything they interfere with. Now on the DOHC engine if the cam belt breaks, it is possible for both the intake and exhaust valves to be open at one time. Not sure if the interference design is valve to valve or valve to piston issue.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Mickey: I email SOA technical dept and they said ALL 2.5L Subaru engines are of the interference type. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Looking at the illustration in the maintainance manual, I suspect both.

Reply to
Jim Stewart