Engine ping/detonation - 2002 Outback H4 2.5 AT

If anybody is still following this post I just wanted to let you know that, after picking up my car from Subaru car service shop (Don Docksteader Motors Ltd, Vancouver, BC, Canada) I believe my engine does not ping/detonate any more. I want to try few more test drives before I'm 100% convinced but so far I'm happy.

I'm using low octane fuel (87 aki - finally ), drove it for the past four days and no pinging sound is coming from the engine compartment. I must say that true test will be once daily temp. goes above 25C which I can to next summer, but this looks/sounds promising. :-)

Let me know if you need more details.

Cheers Voja

P.S. It was 2+ years long battle with SoC but it was worth it.

Reply to
Voja

I remember you had a short-block replaced as well last year, didn't you? You must be a man of strong conviction to get anything done. My wife's 02 OBS

2.5 has all the symptoms you have had... piston slap and now pinging... no help at all from Wolfe Subaru in Langley. They are basically jerks. I will probably have to complain directly to SoC. Steve.

If anybody is still following this post I just wanted to let you know that, after picking up my car from Subaru car service shop (Don Docksteader Motors Ltd, Vancouver, BC, Canada) I believe my engine does not ping/detonate any more. I want to try few more test drives before I'm 100% convinced but so far I'm happy.

I'm using low octane fuel (87 aki - finally ), drove it for the past four days and no pinging sound is coming from the engine compartment. I must say that true test will be once daily temp. goes above 25C which I can to next summer, but this looks/sounds promising. :-)

Let me know if you need more details.

Cheers Voja

P.S. It was 2+ years long battle with SoC but it was worth it.

Reply to
Spudster

I had a SB replacement for our '97 OB that develped a bad case of piston slap at

48K miles. I took it in a couple of times and the Service Manager suggest it. Amazing!

Dealer personalties vary as much as everyday people do.

Reply to
Don.

Yes, I had short block replaced in May 2002. After that things started to go bad.

Anyway, I love this car and that's what kept me going. Otherwise I would have traded it long time ago.

I sent letter to SoC and complained about the kind of service Don Docksteader guys gave me and I also contacted CAMVAP

Talk to Michelle at BBB (or CAMVAP) and she might be able to help you.

Good luck. Voja

Spudster wrote:

Reply to
Voja