What does the ECU control in a 1988 GL turbo engine? Detail

I've just had to replace the ECU in a 1988 GL -- everything else checked OK but the actual ECU, in the end, and it was that or see the car junked since it wasn't within my reach to intervene. So I funded the work to get the car.

It's running better than it has in years, since the ECU swap -- apparently the chip did have a bad internal ground signal fault.

So -- what's it doing?

(I bought this from an old friend. He says the engine sounds and drives better than it has in years -- apparently it's had this ECU problem intermittently for a long time -- He'd had it worked on by a shade-tree mechanic who didn't think the ECU mattered so had been ignoring it except to somehow make the light go off long enough for a California smog check station to approve the vehicle -- it did and does pass smog.)

I know I've spent more money on it than it's worth -- it was far away from me at the time, and being worked on by a reputable shop, so aside from the (ouch!) price of a new ECU from Subaru it didn't cost all that much to get it California legal.

But -- now what is the ECU doing? -- I'm hoping that from here on I'll be able to keep it running well.)

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------

---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---

Reply to
hank