what grade oil for 1990 Legacy?

ANy recommendations on the proper grade of engine oil (regular, not synthetic) for a high-mileage 1990 Legacy? A dealer I used to go to (and trusted) recommended 5W30 year-round, but my current dealer is saying 10W30. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks, Zack

Reply to
Zack

Personally, I don't believe you can go wrong with either. I suspect it will run a little quieter with the 10W30 though.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

In 1990, Subaru recommended against continuous highway use when running

5W-30 in the Loyale series. I imagine that recommendation would have applied to the Legacy, too. 10W-30 was the "standard" recommendation (per my owners manual) with 10W-40 and 20W-50 suggested in hotter climates. My engine runs what I consider dangerously "low" oil pressure in the summer (100 deg F and above around here) with 10W-30, so I run 20W-50. You didn't say what defines "high mileage." Mine has 354k miles.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Sorry - meant to include that info. I've got 155,000 miles on mine, engine is in excellent condition, and I live in NYC (so it certainly gets hot, but we're not talking Texas).

Zack

Reply to
Zack

Ok, in that case, I'd start with 10W-30 and if oil pressure is lower than normal, go up a grade to 10W-40, then 20W-50 if required. For fuel economy's sake, you want your oil thin, for engine protection you may need it thicker, so it's gonna be a compromise: I'll sacrifice a tiny bit of fuel economy for seeing that needle where it belongs any day, though! (Voice of experience--I hate rebuilding engines in the summer--and I'm not too fond of it other times any more, either!)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright